Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#54097 by wens32
Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:43 am
Here's the deal:

For a limited time, you can upgrade your Ooma Hub system to our next-generation Ooma Telo for just $199.99 and get two FREE bonus items. With this special offer, you'll get:

* An award-winning Ooma Telo
* A FREE Ooma Telo Handset (a $50 value)
* A FREE 6 months of our International Bundle (a $30 value)

To take advantage of this offer, you MUST be an Ooma Premier subscriber. Click here to upgrade to Ooma Premier.

How is this a good deal?

Since costco sells it for 229, including the same add-ons, why would I even consider upgrading to premiere at 99 a year?

You'd want me to pay 300 dollars for something I could get for 229?

what kind of incentive is that?

Where's the real deal for people who've been using Ooma?

Perhaps if the deal was something along the lines of $149, without needing to upgrade to premiere...or even $99.

Bad marketing!
#54105 by Groundhound
Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am
wens32 wrote:Since costco sells it for 229, including the same add-ons, why would I even consider upgrading to premiere at 99 a year?

You'd want me to pay 300 dollars for something I could get for 229?

Looks like the offer is intended for those who are already Premier subscribers, not for those who see no value in Premier other than as a means to get the $199 price. The Costco offer sounds like the best for you, because there is no Premier. I'm a lifetime Premier subscriber who already has a Telo, but if I still had a Hub and wanted to upgrade, the offer would be attractive to me. It's not bad marketing, just marketing that's not aimed at the basic service user. I think that if they offered the choice of six months of Premier for basic-service Hub upgrades instead of the International call credit it would be a better incentive to convert basic users to Premier.
#54110 by wens32
Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 am
That's understandable.

But even so, I'm sure that places like Costco or Amazon et al, would have similar packages for under 200 in the near future.

Which doesn't necessarily make this deal a "great deal"...

I guess it all really depends on how much one would could save ($$) to personally consider it a deal or not.
#54112 by Groundhound
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:06 am
wens32 wrote:But even so, I'm sure that places like Costco or Amazon et al, would have similar packages for under 200 in the near future.

Maybe. Amazon currently has the Telo with no handset and no international call credit at $199.82, and the Amazon sales rank at that price point is very high - so I'm not sure what incentive Amazon would have in further lowering the price or including a handset at the same price, but you never know.
#54113 by DTMF
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:21 am
Groundhound wrote:Looks like the offer is intended for those who are already Premier subscribers, not for those who see no value in Premier other than as a means to get the $199 price.

Customers who bring in revenue, like those who are subscribed to Premier, will always be valued more by companies than those who do not bring in revenue. It's an unspoken principle of marketing.
#54117 by allo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 am
DTMF wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Looks like the offer is intended for those who are already Premier subscribers, not for those who see no value in Premier other than as a means to get the $199 price.

Customers who bring in revenue, like those who are subscribed to Premier, will always be valued more by companies than those who do not bring in revenue. It's an unspoken principle of marketing.

Assuming "the marketing" makes sense!
#54122 by bw1
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am
jerrygerard wrote:I also got the offer email, and I am also a Premier subscriber. I can't, however, see the value in the upgrade. I'm not seeing what the Telo provides that I don't already have. Can someone educate me?

Thanks!

If you already have Premier with your Hub and Scout, there are only a couple of potential advantages:

The Telo handset may give you easier access to the instant second line than the scout (especially if you get multiple handsets).
The Telo handset gives you access to your Ooma contacts (don't need Premier for this).
The future blutooth functionality will allow you to answer your cell phone (in range and connected through blutooth) from any handset or phone connected to the Telo.
Google Voice Extensions unless or until that feature comes to the Hub.
Any other future Telo only upgrades like HD Voice.

Here's an official comparison:
https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-hub/compare
#54147 by coldsteel
Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 am
I got the email offer as well - disappointing may be too strong, but it definitely did not persuade or entice me. I posted as much in a different thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7701#p54143 so I won't duplicate it here.