Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#53525 by kayakmiami
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm
Today, we had a new digital meter put in by our power company, FPL. Electricity was turned off for a minute. It will take 24 to 48 hours for our ooma to reboot and work again. Why is there not an emergency, battery operated, power supply in the ooma? We live in Miami Beach and have multiple power outages during the year. This would have been a no buy for me if I had known this. It is very upsetting that we will have to go through this every time our power blinks off.
#53526 by Groundhound
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 pm
kayakmiami wrote:Today, we had a new digital meter put in by our power company, FPL. Electricity was turned off for a minute. It will take 24 to 48 hours for our ooma to reboot and work again. Why is there not an emergency, battery operated, power supply in the ooma? We live in Miami Beach and have multiple power outages during the year. This would have been a no buy for me if I had known this. It is very upsetting that we will have to go through this every time our power blinks off.

Hmmm, it should be more like 2 - 4 minutes if your Ooma is operating correctly. I have mine on a UPS so short power fluctuations don't affect me.
#53527 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:09 pm
Your ooma should be back up and running within minutes if not seconds after power is restored.

I'd get an UPS system (this one for example) to plug in modem, router, ooma, phone in case of power outages.
#53528 by southsound
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 pm
kayakmiami wrote:Today, we had a new digital meter put in by our power company, FPL. Electricity was turned off for a minute. It will take 24 to 48 hours for our ooma to reboot and work again.

Who told you that it takes 24 hours for the ooma to recover from a power outage? Mine takes about a minute if I don't have it plugged into my UPS that runs my other network devices. A UPS is a must for protecting your network - and it is not the responsibility of ooma to provide that. I didn't go expensive because I have about 5 UPS systems in my home - even my DVR is on one. Most were APC's I bought for about $35 to $100 depending on capacity.
#53529 by tommies
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 pm
I have a CyberPower ups (@ 800VA) just for the cable modem, router, and ooma telo. I hope it will last about 40-50 min.. in case of power outage. It LED says it will last 91 min.

BTW, my cable modem (a Thomson) has the slot for 2 batteries, with one installed.

An option for backup battery for telo is nice.
#53532 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:56 pm
BTW, Fry's just happened to have the CyberPower CP1500AVRT on sale so it costed me only $129.99, after $20 rebate, + tax. So, I'd look for a sale on these UPS units at your nearby stores.
#53535 by Hollywood
Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:36 pm
I have a APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V from Frys. $55 retail, $35 sale price I paid.

I have my modem, Ooma, Router, and cordless phone plugged into it. We had a 50 minute outage a few weeks ago. This UPS worked perfectly. I used the phone several times during the outage with no problems.

Considerations when buying one are price and enough backup time, but if you get too powerful of a unit, it may have a cooling fan that bothers you.

BTW, my neighbors Ooma never came back up after the outage. He had to get an RMA and now has a replacement Ooma. A UPS is not only a power backup, but a surge protector too. GET ONE! :)
#53545 by bluechalk
Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:14 pm
The APC BE550R is only marginally effective as a surge protector. It is rated at 365 joules surge protection. You can do much better with a standalone surge protector. For example the Belkin BE112234-10 will protect against much larger surges, up to 4156 Joules. If you want both surge protection and back up power, you should use both.

The voltage protection rating is also important. The lower the better. Unfortunately, that Belkin supressor is rated at 400v. I've seen others that protect for any surges above 330v.
#53552 by Davesworld
Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 pm
kayakmiami wrote:Today, we had a new digital meter put in by our power company, FPL. Electricity was turned off for a minute. It will take 24 to 48 hours for our ooma to reboot and work again. Why is there not an emergency, battery operated, power supply in the ooma? We live in Miami Beach and have multiple power outages during the year. This would have been a no buy for me if I had known this. It is very upsetting that we will have to go through this every time our power blinks off.

Even if the Ooma had a backup power supply built in, you still need a source of power for your modem/router to maintain internet service which IS required for VOIP.
#53553 by Davesworld
Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm
lbmofo wrote:BTW, Fry's just happened to have the CyberPower CP1500AVRT on sale so it costed me only $129.99, after $20 rebate, + tax. So, I'd look for a sale on these UPS units at your nearby stores.

That's a very good deal. I have a 1500 and a few of the next model down, 1350 I believe?