Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#53011 by Soundjudgment
Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 pm
It would be wonderful to see Ooma not sit behind the 8-ball on this one. As many know, SIP compatibility is taking the Softphone VoIP community by storm. Yes, it has been around for some years now and SIP v2 is active in many homes and businesses. So where is the compatible plan for Ooma?

We all know the Telo Box is really a dedicated ATA box and fed through an IP-tunnel system to the Ooma Servers and so forth. Why not allow Ooma Premiere (and higher) customers to also have SIP compatible access with their favorite PC / Mac, etc. softphone application? Give those customers the ability to log into their SIP-compliant application, and make (and receive) calls from their computer, ala X-Lite and 3CX. The login credentials and phone number(s) would remain the same, and all this should not impact the use of the Telo box as would be completely optional. Both the SIP community and Ooma should have openly-compatible codecs with nothing proprietary to worry about. And did we yet mention... video??

These welcomed additions would add to the marketing power of Ooma and help them to better compete with the SipGates of the world, while still retaining what makes Ooma unique in their VoIP service capabilities: the Telo and Hub.
#53015 by DTMF
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm
IMO, the only way this flies is if it's unsupported. Managing SIP is too complex for the average Joe and Jane, especially behind a router.
#53078 by Soundjudgment
Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 am
It would be no more 'difficult' to hook up, than using a Skype program for the average Joe or Jane. I do not see the problem here. Ooma would be doing most of the connectivity on the back-end just as they do now for their ATA boxes, and I have used a couple of SIP clients on the desktop (with other company SIP servers) with no effort in getting through a typical home or office routing system. I don't have to do any port forwarding or make any changes to the router or software firewall.

All Ooma would require from their end-user is registered username, a password and maybe a plug-in SIP server address for the user to work with if they are using a generic SIP dialing application. Heck, Ooma could even code and distribute their own simple softphone application themselves which they could preset to tie into the Ooma server-system with generic codecs. Something easy to download from Ooma.com if the customer wants to work within Ooma's own framework exclusively, utilizing the existing Ooma phone number(s) already assigned.

Let's not be blinded by talk of needless complexities that don't really impact the end-user. Softphone software applications can be utilized at some point, as they do virtually everything the Hub and Telos units do now. They can give the mobile customer with their laptop or smartphone, another way to traverse the VoIP highway, and Ooma can be a true player in the growing marketplace by adding this as an option and value for the client.
#53121 by DTMF
Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 pm
Soundjudgment wrote:It would be no more 'difficult' to hook up, than using a Skype program for the average Joe or Jane.

Sorry, but you can't dismiss this complexity with a wave of your Internet wand. I have worked for a SIP provider, so I know of what I speak here.

Skype uses special proprietary tunneling to get through router restrictionss. Skype can even simulate web traffic (Port 80) to get around firewall restrictions. SIP connections, with their fixed ports, are easily blocked by router restrictions.

I'm not opposed to Ooma offering this. I just know that it could potentially suck up a lot of support resources if it were an officially supported feature. IMHO that would not be a wise choice for a company that has limited support resources.
#53129 by Davesworld
Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:42 pm
There's really nothing to argue here on Ooma's behalf for or against the idea since they have been working on getting their servers ready for this since January and then will release the iPhone app when the servers are ready. As it stands, if you already own a registered hub or telo, you would be given the sip credentials to use elsewhere.

As far as the router argument, Ooma uses many non http ports now as it is. If you can use Ooma through your firewall now, you can use another ATA as well. The rtp traffic is in the same port range as many ITSPs although one I know of uses random ports much higher than port 20000. There is nothing that says they would have to use port 5060 for registration and signaling with BYOD or 5061 for secure. Many itsps allow many ports in case the ISP blocks standard sip ports.

I do agree with the premise that adding a reasonable monthly or optional yearly plan as BYOD would increase the probability of becoming sustainable and the BYOD'er could simply sign up for a plan, get the credentials and be ready to use in short order.
#53163 by Soundjudgment
Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 am
"" getting their servers ready for this since January and then will release the iPhone app when the servers are ready. As it stands, if you already own a registered hub or telo, you would be given the sip credentials to use elsewhere. ""

Excellent news! I am glad Ooma thought through the idea early enough and is preparing for such a move. While I might not wish to use the iPhone for this, per say, I am glad I will be given the SIP settings to place in another compatible device or open softphone application as more of them are being released. This will allow me the flexibility of using a SIP client, while staying with my Ooma-provided phone numbers for all my dial-ins and outs, and not having another 'number' to remember while I am calling from the PC.

All thanks to Ooma! :D
#53257 by Soundjudgment
Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:59 pm
Dunno, something Davesworld mentioned. But if true, I will be one of the first to use it on my 3CX softphone here. Then... Bye-bye, Skype! One world... one Ooma number. :cool:
#53927 by sfhub
Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 am
The work they did for iPhone app basically gave them BYOD SIP service for minimal extra work. Whether they actually expose the credentials and allow BYOD is a business decision. In the past they have said they intend to do this but nothing was ever promised in writing. If it happens, great, if not, don't get upset saying they backed out of something.
#53940 by Davesworld
Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am
sfhub wrote:The work they did for iPhone app basically gave them BYOD SIP service for minimal extra work. Whether they actually expose the credentials and allow BYOD is a business decision. In the past they have said they intend to do this but nothing was ever promised in writing. If it happens, great, if not, don't get upset saying they backed out of something.

Pretty much on the backburner until they get the RTP packet redundancy (PureVoice) up to snuff on their servers.