Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#52915 by manwpc
Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 pm
Today I experienced two dropped calls back to back. Call length for me was longer than normal, about 10 minutes plus then caller mysteriously fades away- Ooma dial tone does not come on just dead air. Try to hang up receiver to get dial tone lights back on, I am seeing red light come on top with no dial tone. Unplug the ethernet, wait about 5 more minutes and Ooma dial tone back up. My gut is this is a network traffic/heavy internet usage issue but according to all of the marketing materials, network traffic is not supposed to affect call quality. Are dropped calls an expectation, an abberation or an sign of an update I missed :( ?
#52924 by murphy
Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm
I have been an Ooma customer since January 2009 and have never had a dropped call.
#52956 by southsound
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:36 pm
murphy wrote:I have been an Ooma customer since January 2009 and have never had a dropped call.

That may be true of my experience as well (February 2009) but I have dropped my phone many times during a call. My biggest complaint is catching the cord from my wireless headset on something as I walk around the house. I'm just happy that my Plantronics headset "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" :P

On a serious note, what kind of phone system are you using with your ooma? If cordless, what band - 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, DECT 6? Do you have a wireless network in your home? What kind of service do you use for Internet - DSL, cable or ? Where is your ooma in regards to your router and modem? The more you can tell us about your configuration, the more we can help.
#52976 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:02 pm
A while back, I helped a fellow ooma user who happens to be family.

He had the same issue but intermittently. I paid him a visit but couldn't figure out what the problem was; everything checked out fine including test phone calls.

A few days later, I visited him again and I lucked out; the phone acted up again. I noticed that the internet was crawling; VoIP Quality Test and Cable Modem readout results were terrible (this only happened intermittently).

He got a new cable modem and all was fine ever since.