Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#52586 by southsound
Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm
It might be something that ooma could use in the future - in fact, they may already be playing with it. As to why it will be a while before adoption (if ever) is summed up in the following quote from their website:
Since CELT is still in development, most new releases (even minor ones) change the bit-stream, so compatibility is not preserved. This instability is why CELT is currently called experimental. The ability to change the format is important in allowing us to make quality improvements while we develop CELT. Once version 1.0 is released the bitstream will be frozen and future revisions will be compatible.

They went to 0.7.1 in January, 2010. The last release prior to that was 0.7.0 in October, 2009. I would guess that 1.0 release is at least 6 months away - then all parties would have to wonder, is it worth the added support and risk to include a 1.0 codec in a shipping product?
#52613 by Davesworld
Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 pm
Very premature but if telephony ever took such a leap it would open up telephony to a whole lot more things it could be used for. I'm not sure the Telo hardware could handle the minimum 32khz sampling and then what would you plug into it? It looks to be a lossy codec to fill the niche somewhere between speex and a lossy near CD quality audio codec. It's also unknown how much processing power is required to decode it. It already takes a cat-IQ compliant DECT cordless system to even be able to realize g.722 over cordless, most DECT 6 systems use the g.726 codec between the handset and the base rather than the g.722 of cat-IQ DECT. Once you bypass the PSTN, you've removed a major obstacle in the way of wideband telephony.

Weren't we supposed to have flying cars and skyways by now?
#52618 by southsound
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 pm
I've been saving up for a new vehicle. I just assumed it would be a car but maybe not.... I wonder about fuel economy? Will I need a full fledged pilot's license or will just an experimental learner's permit work? So many questions - so much opportunity! :P
#52619 by bw1
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 pm
southsound wrote:I wonder about fuel economy?

the M400 Skycar can cruise comfortably at 275 MPH (maximum speed of 375 MPH) and achieve up to 20 miles per gallon on clean burning, ethanol fuel. No traffic, no red lights, no speeding tickets. Just quiet direct transportation from point A to point B in a fraction of the time.

And you don't need a garage - it folds up into the size of a briefcase. :P
#52620 by bw1
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 pm
southsound wrote:Will I need a full fledged pilot's license or will just an experimental learner's permit work?

Yee of little faith:

Moller is currently working with the FAA to obtain certification of the M400 Skycar under the "powered lift normal" category. The airworthiness criteria manual, which governs the certification tests, was drafted by a team of FAA personnel and industry representatives. Moller International is a member of this team.

In addition, the FAA has established a "powered lift" pilot's license. This, together with a thorough familiarization, will be required to pilot a Skycar, primarily to ensure adequate flight management and navigational skills. A Skycar is not piloted like a traditional fixed wing airplane and has only two hand-operated controls, which the pilot uses to inform the redundant computer control system of his or her desired flight maneuvers.
#52627 by Davesworld
Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 pm
southsound wrote:I've been saving up for a new vehicle. I just assumed it would be a car but maybe not.... I wonder about fuel economy? Will I need a full fledged pilot's license or will just an experimental learner's permit work? So many questions - so much opportunity! :P

It's supposed to get over 20mpg at over 300mph and run on ethanol but you have to alcohol up every several hundred miles. It doesn't sound like it will require a full fledged pilots license.