Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#51401 by coldsteel
Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am
Now that AT&T just brought out their device I think all of the major carriers now have Femtocell devices (basically use your cell phone to make wifi/broadband calls at home). Of course being carriers they basically don't have a clue how to price and market these things properly and so their 'services' haven't really taken off.

I don't know how expensive this technology is but like any new tech it will probably quickly drop in cost - this would seem to be a great matchup for a "version 3.0" OOMA device (the DECT thing is okay) but allowing cell-phone calls to be hooked up with OOMA while in the home would be huge not to mention that my cell-phone has way more features and the Femtocell tech seems to allow at least four cell phones to be used simultaneously.

So what do you think?
#51542 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 pm
Ooma is not a cellular carrier, there is no compelling reason for them to provide you with a method to make a cellular link to whichever carrier in your home. The cellular carriers are much larger companies with considerably more subscribers than Ooma's 100,000 and they have a huge infrastucture. It only makes sense for the carriers to offer Femtocell to IP in the home for THEIR customers. I prefer NOT to be on a cellphone while at home because the voice quality is not quite as good.
#51592 by coldsteel
Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am
Davesworld wrote:Ooma is not a cellular carrier, there is no compelling reason for them to provide you with a method to make a cellular link to whichever carrier in your home. The cellular carriers are much larger companies with considerably more subscribers than Ooma's 100,000 and they have a huge infrastucture. It only makes sense for the carriers to offer Femtocell to IP in the home for THEIR customers. I prefer NOT to be on a cellphone while at home because the voice quality is not quite as good.

Let me clarify - the FemtoCells are carrier neutral they need to work with CDMA and GSM protocols but could care less whether or not your phone is AT&T or Verizon or T-Mobile etc so this has nothing to do with the carrier infrastucture and the improvement in voice quality by using the internet as the relay is exactly why the carriers are doing this (although pricing it poorly).

As far as I can tell the FemtoCells act like small cell phone towers and convert the cell phone signal to an IP packet which is then sent just like OOMA VOIP over the internet. It does not matter whether the call destination is a cell phone or a landline just like OOMA today does not care if the destination is a cell phone or a landline. If OOMA had the FemtoCell technology built in and I don't know if this is feasible then even if they only enabled this for outgoing calls then I think a lot of cell phone users would pick up on an OOMA priced service where their outgoing cell phone calls while at home were free of any carrier per minute charges and could tie into all of the other features that OOMA provides.
#51597 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 pm
I see that Magic Jack announced intentions to get into the Femtocell space but not sure how successful that will be.

Femtocell is a solution for folks that don't have adequate cellualar coverage at home and the selling point is that everything will work as usual except you have a stronger signal. Not sure if Magic Jack's service will encompass all of the "network integration" or not (sms text, mms messaging which uses cellular data, call handoff, incoming calls, etc).

My first thought is...if you need to use your cell phone at home when your network coverage isn't that good at home, why bother going with a thrid party vendor like Magic Jack or ooma if you can't get full Femtocell features? Without full features (call handoff and such), wouldn't it be better just to use your home phone at home?
#51680 by Davesworld
Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm
Since Femtocell technology uses your internet connection, why would you want an ATA involved at all?

Vendor neutral Femtocell? It would have to support at least a few revisions of CDMA including EVDO, GSM for voice, GPRS with and without EDGE, UMTS with and without HSDPA and HSPA as well as all the codecs used for voice and the radio being able to handle 850mhz, 1.7, 1.9, and 2.1ghz. It only makes sense for someone wanting to use their cell phone over ip, including 3G features, at home with a poor signal to simply let the carrier supply it since they have no desire to pay for any additional phone numbers.