Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#51132 by 5308946233
Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 am
Ok here is my situation and I just want to know what I can expect.

I have for the past 2 years been getting my phone/internet/tv through AT&T. I recently purchased Ooma and am currently in the porting process to retain our phone number. My question is that once the porting is complete I intend to cancel all of my services with AT&T. At the same time I will be ordering TV and Internet through Comcast.

My question is how will changing my internet provider (going from DSL to Cable) affect my Ooma? I realize if there is any period where I am without internet, obviously ooma will not work.

Is there any settings that will need to be changed? Or will I just need to hook my Telo up to the new router/modem I get with Comcast and be ready to go?
#51134 by murphy
Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 am
5308946233 wrote:Ok here is my situation and I just want to know what I can expect.

I have for the past 2 years been getting my phone/internet/tv through AT&T. I recently purchased Ooma and am currently in the porting process to retain our phone number. My question is that once the porting is complete I intend to cancel all of my services with AT&T. At the same time I will be ordering TV and Internet through Comcast.

My question is how will changing my internet provider (going from DSL to Cable) affect my Ooma? I realize if there is any period where I am without internet, obviously ooma will not work.

Is there any settings that will need to be changed? Or will I just need to hook my Telo up to the new router/modem I get with Comcast and be ready to go?

If your DSL credentials (user ID and password) were entered into the DSL modem, no changes are required.
If they were entered into Ooma or your router, both the Ooma and the router need to be set to get their IP address using DHCP.
#51160 by tommies
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm
I recently changed from ATT DSL (dry loop) to Comcast Cable. They offer 29.95/month for 12 months/no contract. I have both ISP's overlap for about 2 weeks. I canceled DSL after Comcast shows good quality (jitter < 3ms, packet lost 0%) and band width will vary on time (but >> 10x DSL bandwidth). (otherwise I have the option to cancel Comcast without charge.)

On the technical side, my router is set on PPPoE with username+password for the DSL, now it's changed to DHCP-dynamic ip with Comcat--no usename/password needed with cable service.

I have ooma behind the router, and just switch over new isp, no problem at all. Every body is happy, except ATT. I told them I'll reconsider in a year when the Comcast promotion over.
#51218 by mrjagster
Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 am
tommies wrote:I recently changed from ATT DSL (dry loop) to Comcast Cable. They offer 29.95/month for 12 months/no contract. I have both ISP's overlap for about 2 weeks. I canceled DSL after Comcast shows good quality (jitter < 3ms, packet lost 0%) and band width will vary on time (but >> 10x DSL bandwidth). (otherwise I have the option to cancel Comcast without charge.)

On the technical side, my router is set on PPPoE with username+password for the DSL, now it's changed to DHCP-dynamic ip with Comcat--no usename/password needed with cable service.

I have ooma behind the router, and just switch over new isp, no problem at all. Every body is happy, except ATT. I told them I'll reconsider in a year when the Comcast promotion over.

I had Commiecast but support was sooo bad that I switched to ATT. Now their support is no better, but I have rarely ever have to call them. I hope you have a better experience with Commiecast.
#51259 by tommies
Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 pm
Well, here in Atlanta, Comcast & ATT compete for the worst customer support award. I really have nothing to lose. However, from my own experiences, I have nothing but positive with both companies CS. I would say two thumbs up.

On the quality of the connection, I guess this is what you really mean, the ATT DSL bandwidth is limited but others characteristics (jitter, packet lost, etc.) are excelent, and not even a single outage during my time(3-4yrs). Dry loop and porting of land line number went smoothly without service interruption.

On Comcast side, I try every year and end up cancel with in one week (and no charge). This time, I told them I will not sign the work order unless they run a new line into the house with RG11, which they did. So far I have nothing to complain. the price is good ($30/month for 12 months); the bandwidth is vary but more than abundant for me, other quality is good to (jitter < 2ms, packet lost 0%) ping time is less than half compare to DSL.