Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#50758 by coldsteel
Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:22 am
Would there be any chance for OOMA to support Openid or OAUTH for access to users OOMA data? I've just created a Ruby application to generate statistics from Call log data http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/?p=316 and I was going to put it up on Heroku so anyone could use it. There was some discussion at one time about a possible OOMA API and I would assume that if that were going to happen you would also need to allow Openid/OAUTH support.

As it stands, while I think there are some useful statistics that can be generated from the Call log (and even the blacklist data) I doubt that many folks would use these apps because they would have to enter their OOMA id and password so that the app can get the data. In my case, I am not saving that information or anything but I myself probably would not give some third party site my OOMA id and password either (or else I would change it immediately on exit). A more secure mechanism of course would be for OOMA to allow Openid or OAUTH authentication and support so that users would not have to provide their credentials in the first place so any chance of this happening?
#50771 by Bobby B
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm
That's some pretty cool stuff! We do have a My Ooma dashboard in the works to better visually represent call statistics. Hopefully we'll be able to get this out in the field soon. If you're interested, I can send you a link to a preview version so you can check it out.

We likely won't have a formal API to extract data like call logs and contacts in the near future, but I can see us having support for this further down the road.
#50817 by coldsteel
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 am
Thanks and I would love to look at the preview dashboard.
I hope OOMA doesn't put the API too far on the back-burner though as all of the big sites took off when they put an API out there and let the developers loose (AMAZON, TWITTER, FACEBOOK and of course the API grandaddy - GOOGLE).
For example, phone number location mashups on top of maps - interesting for landline numbers but could be a big hit and market differentiator for OOMA as a mashup with say Foursquare, where mobile phones provide geo location data.
#51108 by coldsteel
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 am
The dashboard looks good - I like the favorite callers information snippet. The "panels" give it a retro-portal feel which is okay - I do hope that we are going to be able to choose what panels appear on the dashboard though as I would not like to see panels for services that I don't have up front and always showing zero.
#51301 by coldsteel
Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:59 am
I updated and ported the OOMALOGGER call-log detail application a couple of days ago and it is now available as http://oomalogger.heroku.com.
If you try it out let me know if it works okay for you (or not) here or maybe on Twitter (@winstonlawrence). The details on how it was created etc are posted on my blog.
#53157 by coldsteel
Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 am
I updated the OOMALOGGER app as it had stopped working (for live data) due to a couple of minor OOMA interface changes that 'broke' how the app was obtaining the call-log data - not a biggie but without an OOMA API this may be my last revision as I'm not looking to make this a career or anything - I will look at putting this up on GITHUB or something as open-source though so other folks can hack away at it (that process might be both informative and make for an interesting blog post).