Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#49965 by coldsteel
Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am
I'm just curious if anyone on the forum knows how number porting works at the carrier level?

Is there a distributed database that somehow points a phone number to a particular carrier? I could sort of see in the old days when carriers were assigned blocks of numbers how that might work but how about today?

I'm curious because when I ported my number (from AT&T to OOMA) it worked for everybody as far as I know except for just one person who kept getting a message about my number being disconnected. They had a Time Warner cable/phone setup and apparently for them Time Warner appeared to still be trying to connect to AT&T instead of OOMA (this was more than a week after the number had been ported to OOMA and AT&T disconnected) - it took the person about 10 days of calls to Time Warner to get the problem cleared up (and Time Warner wouldn't say what the problem was) but it was easy to verify that it was a Time Warner problem because calling from any other phone including cell phones worked just fine. Fast forward to two months later and the problem seems to be back for that same phone (and only that Time Warner phone) as far as I can tell.

So, what does the old carrier send out to say that the number is no longer with them and what do the other carriers receive and presumably update?
What does the new carrier send out to say that the number is now with them?
Again I'm just curious as I've never really seen this written up anywhere and a quick Google search isn't getting me anywhere.
#49969 by murphy
Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 am
The procedure has not changed.
The original classic phone company, that originally issued the number, owns it forever.

When you port a number to a VOIP, the original company still owns the number.

If you port from VOIP A to VOIP B, VOIP A returns the number to the owner and then it is ported from the owner to VOIP B.
In this case there is co-ordination between three companies. It is not surprising that it takes so long.
#49971 by coldsteel
Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:27 am
murphy wrote:The procedure has not changed.
The original classic phone company, that originally issued the number, owns it forever.

If you port from VOIP A to VOIP B, VOIP A returns the number to the owner and then it is ported from the owner to VOIP B.
In this case there is co-ordination between three companies. It is not surprising that it takes so long.

Okay so you are saying that in my case "AT&T" still 'owns' my number that is now with OOMA? So when you call my number it somehow goes to AT&T's switches first and then to OOMA? That doesn't make sense (which doesnt mean it isn't true) but are you sure that this is true at the technical as well as functional level?

There is no update sent to Verizon and Sprint and Time Warner and Cablevision and Vonage etc etc etc saying that the number is now handled by a new carrier (OOMA)?
#50233 by ydnar723
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm
coldsteel wrote:
murphy wrote:The procedure has not changed.

Okay so you are saying that in my case "AT&T" still 'owns' my number that is now with OOMA? So when you call my number it somehow goes to AT&T's switches first and then to OOMA? That doesn't make sense (which doesnt mean it isn't true) but are you sure that this is true at the technical as well as functional level?

There is no update sent to Verizon and Sprint and Time Warner and Cablevision and Vonage etc etc etc saying that the number is now handled by a new carrier (OOMA)?

Whenever you signed up for phone service, whomever assigned you your phone number owns it and will always own it once they assign it. Your call once ported does not go back to the AT&T switch, unless of course you port back to them. Otherwise oomas network will handle your calls for you