Problems with port forwarding

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Treebanger

Problems with port forwarding

Post by Treebanger » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 am

I guess bad luck follows me everywhere. I was a Vonage user and paid to have my number ported with Ooma. Never happened. Now I finally decided to cancel Vonage and Vonage tells me Ooma has 30-days to port the number or I will loose it. Ooma has not been able to port this number for some reason. Has anybody else been able to port forward their old Vonage number over to Ooma? Is this on Ooma's end or Vonage? Vonage says they do not hold numbers like Qwest here does. I would really like to get this ported if anyone has suggestions before my 30-days is up.

Thanks.

murphy

Re: Problems with port forwarding

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 am

Treebanger wrote:I guess bad luck follows me everywhere. I was a Vonage user and paid to have my number ported with Ooma. Never happened. Now I finally decided to cancel Vonage and Vonage tells me Ooma has 30-days to port the number or I will loose it. Ooma has not been able to port this number for some reason. Has anybody else been able to port forward their old Vonage number over to Ooma? Is this on Ooma's end or Vonage? Vonage says they do not hold numbers like Qwest here does. I would really like to get this ported if anyone has suggestions before my 30-days is up.

Thanks.
I ported my number from Vonage.
Your account must be paid up in full.
There can't be any outstanding changes in progress.
I would also disable any special features that you might have enabled.
Do not cancel Vonage. It will automatically cancel when the port completes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Treebanger

Post by Treebanger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 am

OK, Ooma is trying again. I have already canceled but Vonage claims Ooma still has 30-days to port. I had a friend sign-up and his number from the local cable company was ported in just a week???

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 am

Treebanger wrote:OK, Ooma is trying again. I have already canceled but Vonage claims Ooma still has 30-days to port. I had a friend sign-up and his number from the local cable company was ported in just a week???
If Vonage didn't originally issue your number (you ported it to Vonage from somewhere else), Vonage will reverse the port and send the number back to whoever actually owns the number (you don't own it). Ooma will then pick up the number from the owner. I ported from Vonage to Ooma but Verizon owns my number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Treebanger

Post by Treebanger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

No, this number was assigned to me buy Vonage. Now Ooma says by the 19th of this month the number should be ported. I shall wait again and hope. Very frustrated now.

WHYGIRL

Post by WHYGIRL » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I haven't been able to port either. I'm currently with Verizon Wireless. My porting was supposed to be done 3/09/10. I've called ----customer support doesn't know anything. I've emailed at least 3 or 4 times...no reply. The porting request was made 2/11/10. I love the Ooma idea and the system, but lack of good information, technical and customer support will kill this thing. It's too bad, really, after all they went through with product development, marketing, etc. to allow it to fail because of poor.....what? ........management? access to information? internal procedures? relationships with carriers?