Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#49462 by ebsebs
Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm
I just wanted to relate my experience setting up my Ooma Telo:

1. The box was waiting when I got home for lunch today.
2. Opened the box and read the Quick Start guide.
3. Activated the Telo online and chose a local phone number. (I don't intend to port my existing number.)
4. Plugged in the Telo to my router and let it update its firmware - took about 3 minutes.
5. Connected a regular wireless phone to the Telo and made my first call. It worked and sounded fine!
6. Reconnected the Telo in front of my router and verified that my home network was working.
7. Made my second phone call and received a call. Also left a voicemail message.
8. Listened to my voicemail online.

I completed the whole process during my lunch hour and still had time for a sandwich!

Tonight, I will disconnect my home phone wiring from the telephone company lines and try out Telo on all my phones.
I also need to see how Caller-ID works on my phones, but I don't expect any problems.

I know there can be difficulties in setting up a new gadget, but my experience couldn't have been any easier.

And in case anyone is wondering...
I am in no way related to Ooma, other than being a brand new and very happy customer.

Eric
#49487 by just4fn
Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm
The only problem you may see is your caller ID. It may take several weeks to see your name. The caller ID in the mean time will say Ooma Inc,
#49547 by oomg
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 am
ebsebs wrote:Tonight, I will disconnect my home phone wiring from the telephone company lines and try out Telo on all my phones. I also need to see how Caller-ID works on my phones, but I don't expect any problems.

I would be interested in seeing your follow-up report re: how this works for you.
#49555 by ebsebs
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:08 am
oomg,

You asked for a follow-up, so here it is!

I disconnected my in-house phone wiring from the telco lines in my basement, and plugged the Telo into a wall jack. All of the phones in my house (4 wireless, 1 wired) work fine. All of the wireless phones have Caller-ID and correctly display the name and phone number (I'm in the Premier trial period).

There are delays (expected in VOIP), but nothing objectionable. The voice quality is very good with the Ooma QoS setting at the default 384 KB/second. Since I have about 1 MB/sec upload speed, I may increase the QoS setting to 768 KB/sec to see if there is any noticeable improvement.

A very minor issue came up when I set up my Ooma voicemail. When you record your name, you end the recording by pressing the "#" key. Unfortunately, a portion of the touchtone is heard at the end of the recording. I tried a couple of times, but I wasn't able to eliminate it. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.

In summary, I'm very pleased with the Ooma hardware and service so far. Over the next few days, I will be making calls to test it out further and give my new Ooma phone number to those who need it. If all goes well (as I expect), my next step is to call Verizon and cancel my landline.

Some questions for everyone:

Should I put my new Ooma phone number on the "Do Not Call" list? I know I can use blacklists, but being on the list really did eliminate almost all telemarketing calls on my landline. Is this necessary for my Ooma phone number?

Will my new Ooma phone number appear in telephone directories?

Regards,
Eric
#49560 by Groundhound
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 am
ebsebs wrote:Some questions for everyone:

Should I put my new Ooma phone number on the "Do Not Call" list? I know I can use blacklists, but being on the list really did eliminate almost all telemarketing calls on my landline. Is this necessary for my Ooma phone number?

Will my new Ooma phone number appear in telephone directories?

Yes, regarding putting your number on the Federal Do Not Call List.
No, regarding Ooma publishing your phone number in a directory or anywhere else.