Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#49280 by dpierce
Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am
Okay, honestly, who here can truthfully tell me that they don’t believe that Ooma needs to recall these handsets? Until they get all the problems solved and features promised at launched these things are totally unreliable and worthless to me. Half the features aren’t active and with all the basic functionality issues I don’t think they should or will be enabling additional features anytime soon. The only people who should be using these things should be beta testers or those willing to participate in some early adopters program. These handsets are experimental at best and clearly not retail ready.

I’ve got three Telo handsets. I've returned them all for replacement and in one case multiple times. I’m still experiencing the same dead battery syndrome, lockups, freak “dead in the cradle” issues, and a new issue to me that requires me calling from another source (cell phone in my case) to get the phone to work again. It looks like it’s working normally till you go to make a call and get no dial tone. A call rings and you can pick it up and everything returns to normal again on the handset. It’s like playing horseshoes in a minefield. You never know if the next attempt is going to be a ringer or an explosion.

Batteries go dead on the cradles every once in a while. Sometimes when calls calling in are taken on my Panasonic handsets I may end the call having to pull the battery a handset or twos batteries to get them working again. They mysteriously developed some sort of problem where in there cradles the backlight will stay on and when I pick them up I’ll find them unresponsive to all commands but the number pad and soft key (the clear command). Dial doesn’t work, hang-up doesn’t clear the screen either. I can't even turn it off because all pressing the hang-up button does is continuously beep at me.

I have come to loathe the Telo handset. This is my only phone and a failed attempt at saving money. I gave up a reliable land line to save $20 a month and have had nothing but grief ever since. I have to babysit these things all the time. I wish I could just get my money back and stop this madness. Worse than the money is all the time I've lost in support calls, trips to the post office, and with support agents helpless to assist me since it's a clear case of hardware and software inadequacies. This product should never have seen the light of day. I'm just so tired of these unreliable toys, and Ooma acting like this sort of thing is par for the course is infuriating to no end. I didn't sign on for a beta program. I paid hard earned retail dollars to get these handsets and these just don’t deliver the most basic need I have for a home phone….reliability.

OOMA, recall the Telo handset for Christ sake and save what is left of your reputation. What a mess this has turned out to be for me and anyone unlucky enough to have believed the hype your sales and marketing team was pushing.
#49549 by oomg
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 am
dpierce wrote:I have come to loathe the Telo handset. This is my only phone and a failed attempt at saving money. I gave up a reliable land line to save $20 a month and have had nothing but grief ever since. I have to babysit these things all the time. I wish I could just get my money back and stop this madness. Worse than the money is all the time I've lost in support calls, trips to the post office, and with support agents helpless to assist me since it's a clear case of hardware and software inadequacies. This product should never have seen the light of day. I'm just so tired of these unreliable toys, and Ooma acting like this sort of thing is par for the course is infuriating to no end. I didn't sign on for a beta program. I paid hard earned retail dollars to get these handsets and these just don’t deliver the most basic need I have for a home phone….reliability.

If you look back, there was a lot of interest in the future Telo system prior to its release. And, I think there may have been a push to get the product released in time for the 2009 holiday season. It may prove to have been premature. Nevertheless, the base Telo unit seem to work just fine, although Ooma has been updating the firmware as needed. I gave several Ooma systems to friends and family as a holiday gift; six in total; four older hub/scout systems and two Telo systems. So far, all seem to be working well although neither of the Telo systems have more than one handset included in the system.

Until Ooma gets everything sorted out, and I have no doubts that they will, I would recommend attaching a cordless base station to the Telo unit. Good cordless sets with 3-6 satellite units are relatively inexpensive, and can continue to be used once all handset issues are resolved.
#49554 by jcarcopo
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am
I agree with you, the Telo Handset is a badly designed product by very inept engineers who should be fired. I had 7 handsets replaced before I was able to get 4 that were consistent. They still suck, but they suck equally now.

I love receiving a call on line 1 and then not able to switch to line 2 because the handset I'm using locks up when i attempt to swap calls. I love how none of the 4 handsets ring simultaneously and some don't ring at all when I receive a call. I love rebooting my phone and the base station weekly to fix lock-ups (because rebooting cordless phones is normal). I love not being able to store and edit any contacts; and how saved caller id contacts are not replicated on all 4 handsets like every other cordless on the market. I love the slow, lagged, pitiful response of the phone.

Its time to call a spade a bloody shovel. The telo handset will be OOMA's Albatross to be worn around the neck of the CEO and the Marketing department that fraudulently sold a broken product to its loyal customers to make a the holiday buying season.

Disgusted and annoyed,

Jonathan Carcopo
#49820 by kb4ob
Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:23 pm
I agree also, I only have one that I received when I subscribed to advanced features.
It mostly just sits, or leans :D , in the cradle and the only time I attempted to use it the battery was dead because it apparently "leaned :D " too far one way and lost connection with the charger some time before my attempted use.

Horrible design with very few worthwhile features that looks, and functions, like it was initially manufactured as a childs toy.
#49832 by allo
Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:20 pm
dpierce wrote:Okay, honestly, who here can truthfully tell me that they don’t believe that Ooma needs to recall these handsets? ...

I understand the frustration of the many who are unhappy with the handset... but I don't think it is realistic to expect Ooma to recall all the handsets sold so far, in view of its financial situation... it will probably cripple it for good...Ooma is not Toyota with full coffers to afford that.
The next best thing for the people who bought the handset, and were unhappy with it should have been to return them and use a good cordless system.
And if anything were to happen to Ooma due to a financial crunch, the biggest losers would be all the members who invested in a Hub or Telo.
The Ooma handset had many problems from the beginning, and probably has a lot to do with the manufacturing design overseas and the (old) technology used for the battery system … like many other defective products being imported nowadays.
#51390 by dpierce
Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 am
Since version 1.35452 i've not had the power problem or anything like that so far. It's actually been a few weeks without a problem. Things are getting better!
#51438 by gunfyter
Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:15 pm
dpierce wrote:Since version 1.35452 i've not had the power problem or anything like that so far. It's actually been a few weeks without a problem. Things are getting better!

Ditto.