Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#49044 by Austin Scott
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 pm
Vonage. I loved em, five years ago. I was paying North of $80 per month to use my phone, back in the dark old days of Ameritech/Ma Bell. Then came Vonage, $24.99 per month. It's been great, until Ooma. I see all of the controversy here on the website, and in the Amazon reviews. I took the leap of faith, and admit to an uneasy feeling that Ooma is going to crash and burn. If that happens, I'll be holding unto my useless $231.99 box, and it's buddy, the scout. However, today, right now, I am bill free. No monthly charges. At all. Zero. Here's why I jumped the Vonage ship:

My actual bill in 2005:
Residential Premium Unlimited Plan $24.99
Activation Fee $0.00
Phone Number $0.00
Customer supplied Linksys PAP2 Device $0.00
Call Forwarding $0.00
Directory Assistance $0.00
Anytime International Plan $0.00
Voice mail $0.00
LNP Transfer $0.00
Regulatory Recovery Fee $1.50
FET Tax $0.75
Total Amount $27.24

This years bill, 2010:
Residential Premium Unlimited Plan for 1-(xxx)-xxx-xxxx (19/Feb-18/Mar) $24.99
Regulatory and Compliance Fee $1.49
Emergency 911 Service Fee $1.49
Federal Program Fee $2.66
County Operational 911 Fee $1.85
Sales Tax $1.84
State 911 Fee $0.19
Total Amount $34.51

I bought the core. After reading around, and seeing the earlier model, with the scout for the same price as the newer 'Core' alone, I thought what the heck?! (I never even gave the Telo another thought) I have the original legal language that indicates no monthly fee, free voice mail etc. It's a no brainer.
$34.51 and climbing or ...... $0 hmmmm.
$414.12 annually, or ....... One time charge of $231.99
after that ...... $0

So... for the last five years, Vonage and assorted government entity's have wrangled approx $1800 from me. :o

Ooma wants $231.99

once. :cool:

Here's to Ooma! Cheers!
#49047 by southsound
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 pm
Welcome to ooma and to the forums! I agree totally with your math and can assure you that you made a good decision. I have both the hub/scout package and the newer Telo. I love them both. The hub/scout is now over a year old and I've had the Telo since August. At first I was a little worried about the ooma business model and their survivability. Now after working with the box and seeing the awesome support from this forum, my fears are gone. Like I said, we're glad you are part of the ooma community. Please consider browsing the forum on a regular basis and jumping in to help when you can. :cool:
#49082 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:16 pm
I definitely agree with Southsound ... you made a great choice with Ooma. I had just about the same exact decision as you after several years with Vonage (which was great, except for the price!).

Ooma has been fantastic, and supported by a great network of users on this forum.
#49088 by tommies
Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm
I have a horse in this race. Today is may 1st anniverary with ooma. From now onward, it free phone for me. Of course, I'm with you in wishing ooma to be in business for time to come. However, we need to keep some perpective, when the hardware fails, and it will, just be happy to give ooma another boost.
#49491 by Austin Scott
Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm
...and now this, from Vonage:
We would love to have you back and we're making it easier than ever to restart your Vonage service. Come back today and get our new low rate of just $14.99 per month for the first 6 months. After that, it's just $25.99 per month (with 1 year agreement plus taxes & fees) for:

* Unlimited local and long distance across the U.S. and Puerto Rico
* Unlimited calling to landlines in more than 60 countries worldwide, including Canada, India and Mexico (see country list and important details)**
* Plus a ton of Goodies including Caller ID and Call Waiting
* Unlimited Visual Voicemail, which converts your voicemails into text^ for free, so you can stop listening and start reading your voicemail.

Sign up today and get free activation, free priority shipping and a Vonage V-Portal adapter! (With 1 year agreement. Surcharges and taxes apply)

Really?
#50036 by elrod
Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:34 pm
Yep, same here. We had Vonage for five years! We started seeing some degrading call quality (could have been a problem with the Vonage router, which I would have had to replace, again!), so we took a chance with Ooma!

Yes, we have had it only 7 days, and while EVERY call has not been perfect, most of the calls have been great!

We have the following configuration - Cable Modem>Ooma>Internal Router . This has given us the best quality. Like I said, my router (Vonage) could be having issues, so having Ooma in front proved best.

I am please with our first week of service, and hopeful for a long relationship with Ooma!