Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#48908 by Dozer
Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:45 am
First, I have dial tone. Can't get rid of the tone that comes before the dial tone despite me changing it on the set up panel. I have rebooted the system and still it is there.
Second, am not having luck setting up the voicemail. Can't seem to get any prompt that will let me move forward. How do you set up vm from a phone on the system
Third. Can't seem to get faxes to go out. Why do you have to dial *99.
Lastly, the sound quality is not as good as I had hoped

System:
My Telo is connected to my modem and from there the telephone out line is connected to my home phone system consisting of a network of phones through the home, all of which get a dial tone. basically, my telo is inside of my home network panel like my vonage used to be.

Please help.
#48909 by murphy
Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:15 am
You can't get rid of the Ooma dial tone.
You can get rid of the connection tone that plays when your called party answers.

Take your phone off hook and press the play button on the Telo to set up voice mail.

It's *99 pause. It changes the audio characteristics (codec) to be compatible with fax transmission.
Vonage has the exact same requirement.
Set the baud rate to 9600 baud and disable ECM (Error Correction Mode) in the fax machine.

Has the phone wiring from the outside world (old land line phone company) been disconnected from your house wiring?

Have you added up the REN values of all of the phones that you have connected to make sure it is 5 or less?
The REN value is on the sticker on the bottom of each phone.
#48910 by Dozer
Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 am
Thanks Murphy. I know about the dial tone, but i can't get rid of the song theme before i hear the dial tone. ANy suggestions?

Also, does the REN sum mean all phones or just lines? I have a 4 handset phone system. Would that be 4 + the other phones or just 1+1?

BTW, do you like your OOma better than Vonage??
Thanks
#48912 by murphy
Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 am
Dozer wrote:Thanks Murphy. I know about the dial tone, but i can't get rid of the song theme before i hear the dial tone. ANy suggestions?

Also, does the REN sum mean all phones or just lines? I have a 4 handset phone system. Would that be 4 + the other phones or just 1+1?

BTW, do you like your OOma better than Vonage??
Thanks

The "song theme" IS the Ooma dial tone. You can't get rid of it. Pick your phone up slower and you won't hear it. ;)

You get the REN number from the base of every phone that is connected physically to the Telo phone port. In the case of a cordless phone system, it's on the bottom of the base of the cordless phone system. If it's a modern electronic phone it's probably about 0.1. If the phone is an old one with real bells, get rid of it because it uses way too much power to ring the bells.