Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#48591 by cty43945
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:28 pm
Create a usb port that will be able to use my 3G/4G USB Device for my mobile broadband that is currently used with my laptop. It would then be like a "free" mobile phone! Minus the $60/month for the mobile broadband service... Otherwise, make something to link the Ooma to a laptop and use it's internet, with the same underlying idea (being able to use Ooma anywhere where there's wireless internet).

Also, aside from this regarding customer service, setup appointments for when the level 3 techs will call back so I can actually be available.
cty43945
#48595 by mthomtech
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm
Here's some things that I've tried with success that gave me similar functionality.

I recently was on an international trip with my Ooma Telo, and I brought a "wireless bridge" that I bought on ebay. It basically allows you to takes in a wi-fi connection and then you can hook any wired ethernet port to it. I was able to use my Telo with various wi-fi connections while I was travelling and it worked great. The only modification I had to make on occasion was to adjust the QOS settings when the wi-fi connections were slow. But I was able to make and receive calls in every country I visited without issue.

One of the places I stayed was in a very remote area that had no wi-fi or wired connections. The landlord set up a connection through 3G/4G cellular connection. It had an ethernet port to hook the Telo into, and that worked fine too.

As for the wireless bridge, I think I spent about $50 for a refurb linksys model.
#48618 by Davesworld
Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm
cty43945 wrote:Create a usb port that will be able to use my 3G/4G USB Device for my mobile broadband that is currently used with my laptop. It would then be like a "free" mobile phone! Minus the $60/month for the mobile broadband service... Otherwise, make something to link the Ooma to a laptop and use it's internet, with the same underlying idea (being able to use Ooma anywhere where there's wireless internet).

Also, aside from this regarding customer service, setup appointments for when the level 3 techs will call back so I can actually be available.
cty43945

A few problems with this, most cellular carriers forbid it and the quality will range anywhere from unusable to passable but never excellent. WiFi is bad enough as it is. Getting voice lag by using wifi is not uncommon, with cellular data you're latency will never be that good. I have tried using voip over 3G and was able to hold a short conversation successfully, at other times I lost calls. This is with a decent 3G connection via a good router and latency in the low 100's. Then you have the issue of packets that have to be retransmitted and jitter. I feel that any connection should be checked at whichvoip.com before anyone even thinks of using it.
#48622 by mthomtech
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 pm
I know it's very dependent on the quality of wifi or cellular data connection, but I actually had really good experiences with both on my travels. I did lower the QOS settings significantly sometimes, but I was surprised that I was able to get good results in almost every case.

Of course, it's pushing the envelope and definitely not something that should be an officially advertised feature. As an example, when I used the cellular data connection in Italy, when any other user or application pulled data from the connection, the bandwidth to the Telo dropped below usable levels.
#48640 by Davesworld
Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 pm
Even so, having an ATA to be asked to run a cellular modem opens up a thousand more variables. It would have to recognize the vendor and product id, load the proper driver and have the proper ppp setup as a way to control it plus it would also have to perform firewall/router functions. I just don't see an ATA with it's tiny computer and low amount of ram handling this. It'll be enough of a job just getting everything that an ATA is supposed to do working properly.
#48642 by mthomtech
Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 pm
I agree with you. I was just offering some options already available that may serve the OP's needs.

Of course, an even easier solution for traveling with Ooma, is what they announced at the CES. If you have an iPhone, the upcoming app to use Ooma over wifi through your iPhone app will be great for traveling.
#51169 by AgThorn
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm
mthomtech wrote:I agree with you. I was just offering some options already available that may serve the OP's needs.

Of course, an even easier solution for traveling with Ooma, is what they announced at the CES. If you have an iPhone, the upcoming app to use Ooma over wifi through your iPhone app will be great for traveling.

I missed CES ... is there a link on this announcement? I checked my iPhone and there are no current apps for Ooma there. Interested in what this 'coming attraction' is.
#97473 by locfp
Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:17 pm
Is it working for you? I am interested in getting mobile broadband and hope to connect the Ooma Telo to it and use it like a mobile phone.