Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#48531 by hingli
Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm
I have used Caller ID over Network before but I had to keep a Computer running which heated the room the computer was in
and increased our Electric Bill. Why not make the ooma Hub or Telo send the Caller ID data to the network and the computer can install a simple software for receiving the Caller ID data.
#48562 by southsound
Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 pm
hingli wrote:I have used Caller ID over Network before but I had to keep a Computer running which heated the room the computer was in
and increased our Electric Bill. Why not make the ooma Hub or Telo send the Caller ID data to the network and the computer can install a simple software for receiving the Caller ID data.

I'm a little confused - if you don't want to have a computer on, then how is the computer going to receive the caller id? If you want the caller id and don't need/want a computer on and for some reason your cordless phones won't work for you for caller id, how about a stand-alone cid box? We have one in the bedroom because the numbers are HUGE and when I first wake up the smaller fonts just look like a blur.

#48567 by hingli
Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 pm
Well my phones are not reliable at fetching Caller ID data so I use my computer to fetch the caller id data and distribute the data over the LAN to all the computers connected. So if someone calls, the caller id will show up on all the connected computers.
#51625 by MackT4
Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:03 pm
Great Idea. It would be similar to a sat receiver. So if you were watching a movie on your home theater computer or playing a PC game a window would appear with the caller id number. That way you would know whether or not to be bothered with getting up to answer the phone.