Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#47745 by jviola
Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:03 am
Ok. I have verizon dsl and two phone jacks in my house. One downstairs and one upstairs. My dsl model and ooma are downstairs. How do I get a dial tone upstairs? I'm a little confused when researching this in the forum. I guess if I had cable no problem I disconnect a couple of wires from my box outside. Since I have DSL, is it possible to get a dial tone or not?
#47747 by murphy
Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 am
It's possible.
Whether or not you have to do any wiring behind the jacks is unknown.
Get two dual line splitters. They have three sockets for phone wires labeled L1, L2, L1+L2.
Plug one into your downstairs phone jack.
Connect a phone line from L1 to your DSL modem.
Connect the splitter that came with the Ooma to the phone jack (not the wall jack) on the Ooma.
Connect one side of that splitter to the L2 position of the dual line splitter.
Connect your downstairs phone to the other side of the splitter at the Ooma.
Plug the other dual line splitter into the upstairs phone jack.
Plug the upstairs phone into L2 of that splitter.
If it works, you are done.
If it doesn't work it means the line 2 wires were not hooked up when the house was built.
You will have to open up both wall jacks and connect the line 2 wires to the back of the jacks.
Also check your network interface box on the outside of your house and verify that only the plug for the DSL line is connected. All others should be disconnected.

You didn't say if you have an active phone line one the DSL line or if you integrated that phone line with Ooma when you registered. If you did, there are additional phone connections to be made.
Give us the details of how you registered your system.
#47803 by jviola
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 pm
Wow, thank you so much for the very detailed explanation. I will start working on this.

I did have a phone line with verizon which I ported over to ooma and then canceled my account. When I was on verizon the upstairs jack worked fine.

You mentioned "connect the splitter that came with Ooma". I didn't get a splitter with Ooma. I have the telo and I don't think they include all the extras that come with the hub. I do have a 3 way and a 2 way splitter, but your diagram shows L1, L2, and L1+L2 and I don't have that labeled on mine so I guess its not the same thing. The one that you mentioned, can I pick that up at Radio Shack?

So if I get this straight, let me recap;
L1 go to DSL modem
L2 go to splitter on Ooma tele "phone" port and my phone goes to the other port on the splitter on Ooma.
L1+L2 - What gets connected to this one?
#47804 by murphy
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm
L1+L2 is not used in your situation on either splitter and L1 is not used upstairs.
The splitter that you need at the Telo is a standard 1 to 2 splitter.
It's best if it's the type that has a short pigtail to plug into the Telo.
#47805 by caseybea
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 pm
A splitter like that is designed to-- split and isolate a standard phone line.

In a typical home, you have 4 wires. Most of the time, only one pair is really used. SOMETIMES, if you have two lines from your carrier, you have two lines.

A typical use for this splitter would be when you have a dual-line signal from your carrier (ma bell), but want to use standard regular telephones. A phone plugged into "L1" would be on line 1... and L2 would be on line 2. The 'L1+L2' port is used for example, an actual two-line phone.

However-- that said-- these splitters provide awesome means to split your in-home wiring for isolation purposes. The above recommendation is one creative example.