Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#47714 by jdorin
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Gosh, I hate to be so dense :( , but I'm not familiar with this term. I see a [BUMP] button offered along with some posts, but don't know what clicking on it does.

Is it something only the original topic submitter can do to his own posting, or is it something one of the OomaGod Narrators do to shut down a thread that's gone banal :?:
#47719 by Davesworld
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Bumping is purely to take an old thread and bring it to the forefront of active topics unless I've gotten it wrong myself. I've seen some cases where it would have been better to create a new thread rather than add to a thread that hasn't been posted to in eight months especially where the new post is a similar or unrelated problem to a new ooma issue.
#47727 by WayneDsr
Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 pm
Another use would be if you were to edit your original post with a fix or a change. You would "bump" the topic to act as if a new post was added, so users could see your edit.

Wayne
#47761 by DTMF
Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 am
Some forums don't allow it. IMO, it's bad netiquette. Because for every bump that moves a thread up, there are ~10 other threads that get moved down.

If the bumper's thread was so important/interesting, it would have received a reply before it fell off of the front page. ;)
#47788 by jdorin
Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:55 am
BUMPING 101

OK, just a bit more clarification, please.

1. A [BUMP] moves the reply up one position in the Topic :?:
2. Two [BUMPS] moves the reply up two positions, etc :?:
3. A BUMP causes a single upward positioning of a reply among other replies in a single Topic :?:
4. Can a BUMPed reply, let's say it was already only the 1st Reply (2nd position in the Topic, after the original posting), be bumped to appear before the original posting :?: (I hope not - the result wouldn't make sense!)
5. Can anyone BUMP a reply :?: or just the Topic's author, or only the Reply's author :?:

A RELATED QUESTION

What is a "thread?" Is it the collective term for all submissions to a specific Topic? If another Topic is discussing essentially the same thing, are both Topics said to share the same thread, or are part of the same thread? Do two Topics have to be linked together, somehow, for the two to share a common thread?
#47801 by DTMF
Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 am
jdorin wrote:1. A [BUMP] moves the reply up one position in the Topic :?:

Not quite. A bump moves the thread to the top of the list of threads, because threads are arranged chronologically based on the most recent reply.

2. Two [BUMPS] moves the reply up two positions, etc :?:
3. A BUMP causes a single upward positioning of a reply among other replies in a single Topic :?:

Not quite. See my reply to #1. :)

4. Can a BUMPed reply, let's say it was already only the 1st Reply (2nd position in the Topic, after the original posting), be bumped to appear before the original posting :?: (I hope not - the result wouldn't make sense!)
The order of posts in a thread never changes, so this doesn't quite reply. The thing that changes after a bump is the thread's position in the list of threads. It moves to the top, until a newer reply or a new thread comes along to push it down the list again.

5. Can anyone BUMP a reply :?: or just the Topic's author, or only the Reply's author :?:
Usually only the original poster will bump a thread, but it could be someone else who just wants to see a reply to the original post in the thread.

A RELATED QUESTION

What is a "thread?" Is it the collective term for all submissions to a specific Topic? If another Topic is discussing essentially the same thing, are both Topics said to share the same thread, or are part of the same thread? Do two Topics have to be linked together, somehow, for the two to share a common thread?

A thread is a series of posts in reply to an original post. Some people refer to threads as topics, but developers of message board software (and I) don't like that, since in the larger sense a topic is defined by the section(s) of the board in which the thread appears. In this case, the topic of threads is "Ooma User Feedback" and "Suggestions and General Discussion."
#47843 by amoney
Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:02 pm
forums>threads>posts.

This is a post in a thread in a forum.

When a person posts in a thread, the thread gets moved to the very top untill another thread overtakes the 1st position. If no one respons to that thread, it eventually "falls" off the immediate front page.

"Bump" is just a term referrencing that a person wanted the thread to become "active" again after some period of time i.e. buired/lost. Looking for more response. Think of it as renewing a classified ad.

I've been surfing the web since Netscape version 1.0, and once and awhile I will be caught off guard with a new term. Google to the rescue.

;)