Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#47224 by Shutterstuff
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:47 pm
... and wish Ooma would correct.

1. Hardware is cumbersome for some of us. With Vonage I had 1 box and 1 wall-wart (power adapter) for 2 separate phone numbers. I use a 2 line Panasonic cordless phone system and with Ooma I have an extra piece of hardware taking up space. I was and still am impressed with the Linksys RTP300! 4 years and 4 months of consistent service! I may just hang it on the wall... (sniff)

2. I miss being able to pick up the 2 line cordless handset in the garage and call the house... with Ooma, I get the voicemail box. I have to reach into my pocket and use my cell phone now.

3. With Vonage I had one login for both numbers. I cannot do this with Ooma. I have to log off and then back on again to check the logs and voicemail on the other number. A royal PITA!!! IMHO this should be user selectable as I can see the reason for doing this, but it does not apply to my family.

I will stop now and work on my wish list...
#47233 by Davesworld
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 pm
Hang on to that RTP300. I believe Ooma will soon allow BYOD.

Many of us like Ooma but would rather not deal with the Scout for the Hub or the Telo Handset for the Telo. On my hub, the scout is directly connected to the hub and outbound voice sounds crackly but is still intelligible to many, a very iffy but still usable concept. I would rather see the second RJ11 port actually be line 2. Sure you can have more than two lines with multiple scouts or Telo handsets but they cost above and beyond what premium will give you so most of us only use two numbers per device and the Scout is not so great. Anyone with a scout should leave a voice mail elesewhere and then one with the main number and the hub, you may be unpleasantly surprised and may not have known how bad YOU sound over the Scout to the other party.

Linksys ATA units are actually quite good and well respected, even more so than Cisco units. Of any of the current ATA, the only ones that exceed capability are the ones made by Audiocodes which support g.722 and yes, you pay for the extra capability of the hardware itself. The Telo which uses Freeswitch rather than Asterisk, opens up the capability as well since Freeswitch has a much greater frequency range close to ten times higher than conventional telephony. All of this is for naught with calls routed through PSTN as we will have for a long while yet and your RTP300 will perform above average in our current scenario. At work we use Cisco VOIP phones which can do g.722 but all our calls use g.711 by looking through the phone's logs in my area.

The buttons on the Ooma ATA units are nice and handy however, with many other services, you can set a do not disturb schedule automatically. I have my eye on the Audiocodes MP-114 FXS which has four phone ports. For what we do, we need FXS ports, not FXO.
#47332 by alancommike
Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am
I have absolutely no info about Ooma's plans, but I highly doubt they'll be doing BYOD anytime soon. Their biz model is based on selling HW with Premium upgrades. That's how we get free calling. If they go BYOD, it'll have to have monthly fee associated with it, which has little differentiation from any of the other VOIP providers.

...alan
#47338 by murphy
Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am
What I don't miss about Vonage.

$47.00 per month for two 500 minute phone lines.
#47348 by Shutterstuff
Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am
murphy wrote:What I don't miss about Vonage.

$47.00 per month for two 500 minute phone lines.

That is the same plan I had! And I agree that I do not miss it!
#47564 by JTalbert
Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm
I just dropped Cox and got my first post cox phone bill tonight and my monthly bill dropped over $50!!!
#47734 by sfhub
Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm
alancommike wrote:I have absolutely no info about Ooma's plans, but I highly doubt they'll be doing BYOD anytime soon. Their biz model is based on selling HW with Premium upgrades. That's how we get free calling. If they go BYOD, it'll have to have monthly fee associated with it, which has little differentiation from any of the other VOIP providers.

I was under the impression the work they needed to do on the back-end for the iPhone client basically has the system ready to do BYOD. The iPhone client is mostly a SIP client. Rich Buchanan mentioned something about BYOD along with iPhone client.

The current rates for iPhone client are $0.019/min and Premiere subscribers get 250 free initial minutes before you are charged $0.019. So, it would be safe to assume if BYOD was to show up it would probably have a fee, possibly similar to the iPhone client.