take ooma hub to another location

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
markdes

take ooma hub to another location

Post by markdes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Can I take my Ooma hub with me to another location, plug it in to the Internet connection there and have it work like I was at home?

thanks,
Mark

hpepper

Re: take ooma hub to another location

Post by hpepper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:09 pm

markdes wrote:Can I take my Ooma hub with me to another location, plug it in to the Internet connection there and have it work like I was at home?

thanks,
Mark
Normally it should work. There are factors where quality might be a problem, depending on the connection speed and quality. If it is a home setup where you can plug into a router or into a broadband modem, it should work.

I have tried mine at 3 other locations and it worked fine - and my home number rang wherever I had my hub.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

markdes wrote:Can I take my Ooma hub with me to another location, plug it in to the Internet connection there and have it work like I was at home?

thanks,
Mark
Many folks do this with a vacation home or when on an extended visit. If some of the ports are blocked (as in the case of a business location) it may not work. If the location is served by a wireless Internet service, it may not work well. In a lot of cases, it is great.

One extremely important issue: Always make sure to update your location information in my.ooma.com so that E911 always has a valid address for where the unit is located. In an emergency, you don't want to have the wrong address for emergency repsonders.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I take my telo with me when I stay with my family in Milwaukee (350 miles away) ,plug in the power, plug into their router, put the battery back into the Telo Handset and I am good to go. Setup takes about 5 minutes and that's mainly geting them out of the box. I don't know if the Hub is this easy, but I love how the Telo handset is wireless.