Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#46106 by sr521
Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 am
I have been having call quality (echo, loudness) problems with my Ooma hub device since I purchased it last year. I called telephone support and they had me check the BW usage and such. Didn't make any difference. A little later I talked to the porting department and they had a support rep from Palo Alto (650 area code) call to offer to help me with my issues back in mid-January. I wasn't in so he left a message. I called him twice over a week's period and had no answer back. I emailed him that I had not had a response and he apologized saying they were extremely busy, but if I could email him, he would try to help. I said I understood, no problem, and emailed him with a description of the problems I was having. I received no response. I waited a week and emailed him again. Still no response. I called a couple of days ago and left a voice message. Still no response.

I find this completely inexcusable. Luckily I purchased my system from Costco and can still return it.

I had checked various customer reviews and with my friends working in the high-tech area (Cisco, Qualcomm) as well as a VC friend who was familiar with Worldview, one of the investors in Ooma before purchasing Ooma. It seemed like a good product. Needless to say, however, at this point, I will not be providing favorable feedback of Ooma to my friends and colleagues both as a product and as a company.
#46116 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:03 pm
Yeah, email appears to be a black hole, apparently Ooma has logged a bug report and working on it with physicist from NASA.

Seriously though, support is bad, you need to constantly call.
#46156 by southsound
Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 pm
sr521 wrote:I have been having call quality (echo, loudness) problems with my Ooma hub device since I purchased it last year. I called telephone support and they had me check the BW usage and such. Didn't make any difference. A little later I talked to the porting department and they had a support rep from Palo Alto (650 area code) call to offer to help me with my issues back in mid-January. I wasn't in so he left a message. I called him twice over a week's period and had no answer back. I emailed him that I had not had a response and he apologized saying they were extremely busy, but if I could email him, he would try to help. I said I understood, no problem, and emailed him with a description of the problems I was having. I received no response. I waited a week and emailed him again. Still no response. I called a couple of days ago and left a voice message. Still no response.

I find this completely inexcusable. Luckily I purchased my system from Costco and can still return it.

I had checked various customer reviews and with my friends working in the high-tech area (Cisco, Qualcomm) as well as a VC friend who was familiar with Worldview, one of the investors in Ooma before purchasing Ooma. It seemed like a good product. Needless to say, however, at this point, I will not be providing favorable feedback of Ooma to my friends and colleagues both as a product and as a company.

My suggestion is not to give up. I had some severe echo problems in the beginning, about a year ago. In fact, I purchased the domain name ooma.info so I could point interested parties to the thread regarding my problems: "Looking for a Normal Telephone experience." I kept a log of the bad calls - date, time, number, type of problem, incoming or outgoing. Then when I was able to talk with a senior technician, he took my information, went through my equipment logs, even set up a hub at the ooma headquarters with a number 1 digit off from my phone number. It took some time but ooma really delivered. Not only did it improve my service, but for all the others in my area, we have had stellar quality for nearly a year now. Since that time I added a Telo to my home and now have Lifetime Premier (no longer available, sorry). I really believe in this company. Your research was not wrong. Do some logs, get back to that US-based technician, and I think they will make you happy too. It IS worth the hassle. Having VOIP, nice. Having ooma VOIP with no bills and stellar quality, priceless!
#46336 by noltian
Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm
My suggestion is to move to other Voip if you can't resolve the issue with OOMA briefly.
They need to realize how bad customer service can affect their business.

I had about the same experience with telephone support or e-mail support.
Customer service is OOMA's biggest problem.
#46353 by southsound
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm
noltian wrote:My suggestion is to move to other Voip if you can't resolve the issue with OOMA briefly.
They need to realize how bad customer service can affect their business.

I had about the same experience with telephone support or e-mail support.
Customer service is OOMA's biggest problem.

I suppose that is an option and of course it is what the OP might decide to do. But that may not yield the best possible service and might not be cost effective. In my case, the problem was with the partner that ooma was using to terminate calls in my area - XO Communications. They are huge and terminate calls for MANY other VOIP services. ooma was able to make some routing changing on their internal servers and also have XO make some adjustments. I think that what they did probably also helped many other customers from ooma and other VOIP services. Since that time, my experience has been stellar. I have no idea how other VOIP service would be - but I'm happy that I could get my ooma system working so well. When I added my Telo, there were no echo problems. In fact, I how am so happy I have Lifetime Premier (no longer available) on my Telo. Since there is no time limit on a Costco return for the ooma device, why not try to make it work? If it doesn't perform to a user's expectations, they can always return it with no penalty.
#46711 by dsinternet
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 am
I called Customer Service with a question last night and once again they did a wonderful job. I don't know if my area (Minnesota) gets routed to a great CS center. But this is the 5th or 6th time I have called with questions over the last 5 months and they always do a wonderful job.
#48261 by sr521
Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm
I continue to try to work with Ooma support, but it's like pulling teeth. It takes several calls and weeks to get a call back. When they are supposed to follow up, it never happens unless I call or email again and sometimes again.

For all of those dedicated Ooma subscribers who stuck with it and had the luxury of hours and hours of time to spend on getting it working, that's great for them (and for Ooma!), but most people actually don't have that kind of time to spend on things. Can you imagine if you had to do this with your car, cable, cell phone, etc. I'm glad Ooma has a set of loyal followers who can maybe help Ooma improve their service, but I can't believe any business would be able stay in business long term if it requires this kind of time and persistence on the part of it's customers to get support and things to work.
#48299 by southsound
Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 pm
sr521 wrote:I continue to try to work with Ooma support, but it's like pulling teeth. It takes several calls and weeks to get a call back. When they are supposed to follow up, it never happens unless I call or email again and sometimes again.

For all of those dedicated Ooma subscribers who stuck with it and had the luxury of hours and hours of time to spend on getting it working, that's great for them (and for Ooma!), but most people actually don't have that kind of time to spend on things. Can you imagine if you had to do this with your car, cable, cell phone, etc. I'm glad Ooma has a set of loyal followers who can maybe help Ooma improve their service, but I can't believe any business would be able stay in business long term if it requires this kind of time and persistence on the part of it's customers to get support and things to work.

I'm one of those dedicated Ooma subscribers and love to help other users - but I agree. If ooma does not (a) do a little better job of training their front line people, (b) invest the resources in a top-notch knowledgebase system, and (c) figure out how to do a live escalation to a higher tier of technical support, they will continue to lose customers and gain a very questionable reputation. I want this company to succeed - they have some great technology and some super people (Bobby B, Dennis P, Ntoy, Dante, to name a few) but they still need to concentrate on (a), (b), and (c) if they are going to be long term players in a very competitive market. I'm just glad to be a part of the support network for new users and those who are having a problem - but a company cannot rely only on 30 or 50 dedicated Ooma subscribers to help new users when the product gains marketshare and becomes the system the competition fears. I have pretty great faith in the ooma folks I mentioned above and I'll bet they have the ear of the ones who control the purse strings. We'll see how things go over time, but I'm rooting for ooma!
#48313 by amoney
Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 pm
sr521 wrote:I continue to try to work with Ooma support, but it's like pulling teeth. It takes several calls and weeks to get a call back. When they are supposed to follow up, it never happens unless I call or email again and sometimes again.

For all of those dedicated Ooma subscribers who stuck with it and had the luxury of hours and hours of time to spend on getting it working, that's great for them (and for Ooma!), but most people actually don't have that kind of time to spend on things. Can you imagine if you had to do this with your car, cable, cell phone, etc. I'm glad Ooma has a set of loyal followers who can maybe help Ooma improve their service, but I can't believe any business would be able stay in business long term if it requires this kind of time and persistence on the part of it's customers to get support and things to work.


I have been fortunate to have a smooth experience.

Mind you I was prepared for bad support, and if I had issues, I would not be sticking around, Ooma has the cheapest deal in town but cheaper does not mean better.

Just becuase I had a smooth experience, does not mean I am out of the woods and the unresolved issues other users have does not also impact me, in fact they do, people are returning Ooma products and that ultimately is not good for Ooma's bottom line, we all have a stake in this company to survive to allow us to have the most inexpensive phone service.
#49368 by Grayrider
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 am
I've only had this system OOma Telo and 1 handset for 48 hours. In that time we had to call tech support 4 times. Once to set up the base unit. We had to reboot it twice before it would turn on. The other 3 calls were trying to set up the hand set. The first tech had me reboot the base 3 times 2 different ways,put me on hold until eventually I was cut off. The next tech was much nicer, but read from the same script of troublshooting techniques. As I was on hold waiting for a return ticket for the base. I accidently got it to work. BTW I related this exact story in the instalation section to a person who had the same problem. I explained in great detail what happened and how I got my hand set to work. I can't type worth a flip, and spent nearly 1/2 hour on my reply to his post, only to see it deleted by someone after 10 minutes. Because of all the problems setting this system up and 3 other things, 1) They don't bother to tell you they are going to issue a hold for 5 days on $10.00 of your money when you register a charge/debit card with them. 2) my internet speed has dropped by over 30% when I hook up the Telo to my WRT600 router that I paid $400.00 for, and have had to re-flash the firmware twice now since hooking up the Telo . And 3). My handset will not charge the battery more than 10% of the indicator even though we charged it for 24 hours before attempting to sync with the base. These all seem like indicators of what we will be up against in the future, so we deceided to send the system back, and buy new cordless phones to connect to the POTS line that I have to have to dial up commercial security systems and program them. You people seem very nice and are extremely dedicated to this company, I wish you the best of luck. The Admin. can delete this now if he wants to.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests