Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#45700 by paulshock
Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 pm
The HUB lack several features when the secondary number is assigned to the Scout.

First issue: When the secondary number is assigned to the Scout, the HUB does not indicate the presence of voice mail messages waiting on the secondary number (Scout's line). In other words, the Voice Mail light does not flash on the HUB when there is voice mail on the Scout's line (the secondary number). I think it would be worthwhile for customers to have the option to be notified of voice mail on BOTH of their lines via the HUB's indicator lights.

Second issue: When the secondary number is assigned to the Scout, the HUB does not permit an incoming call on the secondary line to be directly answered on a phone connected to the HUB. Instead, the user has to pick up the phone (which will give a dial tone on the primary number) and then press the flash button to get the HUB to switch the phone to the secondary line, thus answering the call. Note pressing the Line 1 or Line 2 buttons on the HUB may or may not switch the call in this scenario depending on whether line one is already in use. Using the phone's flash button is the only reliable way to pick up the call on the secondary line. The situation is as follows: a call comes in on the secondary line which is assigned to a Scout located away from my desk. The Line 1 light flashes on my HUB telling me that there is an incoming call. I would like to answer the call quickly and without hassle. When I pick up the phone connected to the HUB, I can't prevent the HUB from giving me an unwanted dial tone on Line 2 (now the primary line). At this point, I push the flash button on the phone, and I am connected to the incoming call. I think it would be worthwhile for customers using a "dedicated Scout" to be able to push the flashing Line light on the HUB before answering their HUB phone, and then have the HUB phone be connected directly to secondary line when the phone is acutally answered.
#45722 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:31 am
The purpose of the personal number is to create a private line that is independent of the hub.
Think of a private line for one of your children or your mother-in-law.

You can have up to 4 scouts connected. If they are shared scouts, they do what you want.
You just won't have separate voice mail for the numbers.
You can have multiple numbers in the shared pool and they will all ring all of the shared devices.
To place a call using other than the default number, you precede the dialed number with it's selection code (**1, **2, etc.).
#45732 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 am
My children shall have no privacy.

:D

I really wish Ooma would allow people to use their own 2 line phone systems. A user pays for premier but is stuck having to use Ooma proprietary "insert choice word" hardware.
#45755 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:35 am
MsCoulter wrote:Even though my premier trial ended, if I pick up a phone that is on the scout, I get a dialtone even though a phone on the hub is in use. Is that supposed to happen?

Can you dial a number and get through?
#45765 by MsCoulter
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 am
murphy wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:Even though my premier trial ended, if I pick up a phone that is on the scout, I get a dialtone even though a phone on the hub is in use. Is that supposed to happen?

Can you dial a number and get through?

I didn't try! I was trying to join the conversation so I pressed the flash button.
#45769 by paulshock
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:38 am
Another purpose of using a Scout with an assigned number (besides a private line for the children) is for facilitating automatic receipt of incoming faxes. My published number is assigned to the Scout so that my unlisted number can ring through via the Hub to my fax machine without voice mail picking up. This arrangement is necessary because faxing does not work well via the Scout. According to OOMA, setting up the Scout like this is a typical way to configure the two lines so that incoming faxes can be picked up automatically. The problem is that if one sets up the Scout and Hub this way, voice mail on the published line (assigned to the Scout) does not get announced on the Hub. Interestingly you can still listen to the Scout line voice mail by pushing the voice mail button on the Hub, but the light doesn't flash to clue you in that there is voice mail waiting. This is an unfortunate disadvantage that I would like to see corrected.

murphy wrote:The purpose of the personal number is to create a private line that is independent of the hub.

You can have up to 4 scouts connected. If they are shared scouts, they do what you want.
You just won't have separate voice mail for the numbers.
You can have multiple numbers in the shared pool and they will all ring all of the shared devices.
To place a call using other than the default number, you precede the dialed number with it's selection code (**1, **2, etc.).
#46077 by oomg
Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:08 am
murphy wrote:The purpose of the personal number is to create a private line that is independent of the hub.

You just won't have separate voice mail for the numbers. You can have multiple numbers in the shared pool and they will all ring all of the shared devices. To place a call using other than the default number, you precede the dialed number with it's selection code (**1, **2, etc.).

paulshock wrote:Another purpose of using a Scout with an assigned number (besides a private line for the children) is for facilitating automatic receipt of incoming faxes. My published number is assigned to the Scout so that my unlisted number can ring through via the Hub to my fax machine without voice mail picking up. This arrangement is necessary because faxing does not work well via the Scout. According to OOMA, setting up the Scout like this is a typical way to configure the two lines so that incoming faxes can be picked up automatically. The problem is that if one sets up the Scout and Hub this way, voice mail on the published line (assigned to the Scout) does not get announced on the Hub. Interestingly you can still listen to the Scout line voice mail by pushing the voice mail button on the Hub, but the light doesn't flash to clue you in that there is voice mail waiting. This is an unfortunate disadvantage that I would like to see corrected.

Two points here: First, except perhaps under vary rare circumstances, it is my opinion that using a dedicated line for fax service (whether POTS or Ooma or ??) is a waste. There is at least one eFax service that will give users unlimited incoming faxes in pdf format to you email for $1 (yep, One Dollar) per month... and they will give you a separate fax number. You can plug in (or turn on) you fax to send outgoing as needed. If you want to send fax via eFax as well as receive them, costs $2.95 per month plus 2.5 cents per page for outgoing. With this option, incoming faxes can be sent to five separate email addresses (which has allowed me to set up one email address to be used strictly as a fax archive). Outgoing faxes attach pdf format document a fax cover page, or send without a cover page. You will receive a copy of the faxed document together with delivery confirmation. Don't want to incur the outgoing fax cost; attach your document to an email. Very slick. See: http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp

Second, PLEASE do not implement this request. I have multiple Scouts in my system; one Scout is assigned to my second number. All of my personal VM messages are funneled into this one device, including my cell phone. These messages are generally very important, and usually private. Although anyone in my family can walk into the room and listen if they really wanted to, they understand the importance of the messages as well as the need for privacy, and thus, the don't. Implementing this proposal would likely lead to the inadvertent deletion of messages that are important to me.

As a side note, the Scout that is separately assigned to a line does not flash to indicate a VM on the hub. However, each of the unassigned Scouts will flash. All of this works for me.