Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#46143 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm
alancommike wrote:
amoney wrote:Translation... Oomas going under, everyone for themselves.

I may have snipped too much, above quote with respect to Rich Buchanan leaving. If you look at Rich's job history, he basically stays at a startup a few years and leaves for another. He seems pretty good at what he does, getting the word out on a product, getting it onto store shelves and building a brand. I think he feels he's done the hard part at Ooma and probably someone tapped him for a new gig that he couldn't turn down.

...alan

Alright, the cats out of the bag, I may have embellished a bit, for humor sake. I would not disagree with your thoughts at all. Its just the way Riched tweeted about things, sort of backwards, first the mention he left, then later all the positive talk how well Ooma is doing. And he is CMO.... dont you tweet about all the good things FIRST.

I think everyone is on the same page, just some more positive and supporting. Other more negative and critical of Ooma.
#47162 by JTalbert
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:53 am
I posted a comment to Rich on Twitter recently about how horrible the handset is, and he said he is the first to admit the handset is half baked. Maybe that comment is what got him to be fired/asked to leave/quit...

They need to push out an update to the handset and do it now.

I am anxious to try the iphone app, and hope that comes out soon. Last I have heard the end of this month they should have a schedule of when things will start rolling out.
#47163 by BBBoT
Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 pm
The iPhone app is out - just doesn't seem to be working yet.
I saw it on the App store today for $9.99 and picked it up, but it always times out when trying to log in.
#47168 by JTalbert
Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 pm
BBBoT wrote:The iPhone app is out - just doesn't seem to be working yet.
I saw it on the App store today for $9.99 and picked it up, but it always times out when trying to log in.

OMG, It makes sense Ooma, you release a handset that is a POS that does not work as advertised and expect people to spend $50 for that...

Now you release the Ooma app that is $10 and it does not work either! Ooma is batting a 1000!!!!!

I am going through so much headache with my cable company to get my sound quality issues resolved, is it all worth it?

The one question I have for you BBBot, the app is to work on WiFi, are you using WiFi when you try it?

I edited my comments to ask this question, no sense jumping overboard :-)
#47187 by jrg716
Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm
Downloaded the app, using it over Wifi... asks for a username and password, which doesn't appear to be your My Ooma login information. That's about as far as you can get for now.
#47220 by JTalbert
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm
jrg716 wrote:Downloaded the app, using it over Wifi... asks for a username and password, which doesn't appear to be your My Ooma login information. That's about as far as you can get for now.

Wow, Ooma is selling something that the advertised features do not work? OMG I cant believe that.

All I can say, is that since the app is out, hopefully that will mean some sort of a new SW update which will improve things and hopefully they can get the handset up to a real 1.0 version firmware release, its a 0.59 right now.
#47225 by amoney
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:47 pm
jrg716 wrote:Downloaded the app, using it over Wifi... asks for a username and password, which doesn't appear to be your My Ooma login information. That's about as far as you can get for now.

Ooma has one hell of a buisness model.
#47230 by gunfyter
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm
JTalbert wrote:
BBBoT wrote:The iPhone app is out - just doesn't seem to be working yet.

OMG, It makes sense Ooma, you release a handset that is a POS that does not work as advertised and expect people to spend $50 for that...

Now you release the Ooma app that is $10 and it does not work either! Ooma is batting a 1000!!!!!

I don't get the complaints about the handset. I like it. ... But for a total investment of $279 (from Amazon), I got the Telo and the handset... and $720 a year in lower AT&T bills. So next year at this time I will be $441 richer and I am sure in a relatively short period of time from now the current glitches will be ironed out.

I got the iPhone app. No it doesn't work, yet ... but I hope to use it on international calls soon ... as in using the iPhone to call home as I often spend the night outside CONUS. I expect that will save a lot more than $9.99 I paid for the App.

Its a "No Brainer".
Last edited by gunfyter on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#47234 by NB2A
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:37 pm
I wont even keep asking for a Motorola droid app since the Iphone app seems to be wishful thinking! :o
#47239 by southsound
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 pm
I just want to know why the iPhone app doesn't include a free iPhone. I mean, come on, buying an app should not force you to buy additional hardware. I want my free iPhone. And while we're at it, could I have a walnut brownie too?

Seriously, I think the issue is probably a glitch in communication betweek Apple and ooma. ooma was probably HOPING to have the backend ready by February 15 - and had the app held until then. Of course, things happen with development schedules and I am sure that what has bitten ooma again is that release software/infrastructure previously set have not been attained in the promised timeframe. Not to let ooma off the hook, but maybe Apple would not hold the release date and ooma is taking their pushed backend dates in the shorts. Maybe this is one of the reasons that Rich B is gone. He seemed to promise more that ooma could deliver.

I love ooma and will continue to support the product and the company. I just wish that people like Bobby B and Dennis P were in charge at the top level. These folks are awesome and are quite candid with what is going on. Frankly, they are the reason I have chosen to stay with and promote the ooma products.

For the newcomers. I do not work for ooma. Something about a minimum height requirement and raccoons are not of great physical stature by intellegent design. :P