Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#45871 by ggilman
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:18 pm
amoney wrote:Translation... Oomas going under, everyone for themselves.

Not sure why that's the immediate translation. Several other posts on his Twitter imply that Ooma is doing very well:
Ooma has passed the critical 100,000 unit mark with flying colors and is growing faster every day.

Ooma unit sales have grown more than 100X weekly through 5,000 new Ooma retailers over the last two years.

Could be any number of reasons why he's leaving.
#45873 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:27 pm
Typically when a person jumps ship, a nice exit strategy is to play it up.

Thats just how I interpret it, if I am wrong, great! This company lives on thin margins, and all these issues are disturbing.

The Ooma Telo made it out of the starting blocks and is now hitting its stride with the new CES upgrades.

I would say the Ooma Telo barely made it out of the starting blocks, its release was scheduled for the first half of 2009 yet beta testing on the product did not begin untill summer 2009. And then the whole handset fiasco, and some features are still not working.

Time will tell, the longer the ride the better.
#45893 by alancommike
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm
amoney wrote:I would say the Ooma Telo barely made it out of the starting blocks, its release was scheduled for the first half of 2009 yet beta testing on the product did not begin untill summer 2009. And then the whole handset fiasco, and some features are still not working.

That's just how engineering goes, especially at startups. Schedules are always optimistic and release dates always slip.
#45958 by amoney
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 pm
alancommike wrote:
amoney wrote:I would say the Ooma Telo barely made it out of the starting blocks, its release was scheduled for the first half of 2009 yet beta testing on the product did not begin untill summer 2009. And then the whole handset fiasco, and some features are still not working.

That's just how engineering goes, especially at startups. Schedules are always optimistic and release dates always slip.

Absolutely, I see that all the time, but shipping a product whos advertised features on the box dont work, I have never seen to such an extent as the Ooma Telo.
#45966 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 pm
amoney wrote:Absolutely, I see that all the time, but shipping a product whos advertised features on the box dont work, I have never seen to such an extent as the Ooma Telo.

Obviously the hardware was manufactured and packaged with firmware that was still under development, in the belief/hope that the firmware could be completed before the product went on sale - and time ran out. They had no choice but to keep to the schedule for the Telo to hit the retailer's shelves - to miss the holiday shopping season would likely have been fatal. No doubt they had shipping agreements in place with their retail partners, and I'm sure the VC companies holding the purse strings also had "incentives" in place to keep to the schedule.
#45967 by Emily
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 pm
Agree with the others... one employee quitting or getting fired is no indication that a company is in trouble. If you saw multiple employees leaving, that would be something else. And I don't see any "disturbing issues." They're rolling out new products, making new announcements, adding subscribers.

Eagerly awaiting that iPhone App.
#45972 by amoney
Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:17 pm
Groundhound wrote:
amoney wrote:Absolutely, I see that all the time, but shipping a product whos advertised features on the box dont work, I have never seen to such an extent as the Ooma Telo.

Obviously the hardware was manufactured and packaged with firmware that was still under development, in the belief/hope that the firmware could be completed before the product went on sale - and time ran out. They had no choice but to keep to the schedule for the Telo to hit the retailer's shelves - to miss the holiday shopping season would likely have been fatal. No doubt they had shipping agreements in place with their retail partners, and I'm sure the VC companies holding the purse strings also had "incentives" in place to keep to the schedule.

ABSOLUTLEY AGREE!

Sorry for hijacking this thread, as Emily pointed out, this thread is about the iPhone app.
#46040 by Emily
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm
And there were side benefits to that rollout. I wouldn't have heard of and joined Ooma if it hadn't been for all the press coverage of the Telo.
#46137 by alancommike
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:17 pm
amoney wrote:
alancommike wrote:
amoney wrote:
Absolutely, I see that all the time, but shipping a product whos advertised features on the box dont work, I have never seen to such an extent as the Ooma Telo.

Guess you weren't an early adopter of a BlueRay or HD-DVD player. :D

I agree, Ooma does seem to be a bit worse than expected in getting their act together. Even so, I'm no longer getting AT&T phone bills and I can still make and receive phone calls. Everything beyond that will just make it better.
#46138 by alancommike
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm
amoney wrote:Translation... Oomas going under, everyone for themselves.

I may have snipped too much, above quote with respect to Rich Buchanan leaving. If you look at Rich's job history, he basically stays at a startup a few years and leaves for another. He seems pretty good at what he does, getting the word out on a product, getting it onto store shelves and building a brand. I think he feels he's done the hard part at Ooma and probably someone tapped him for a new gig that he couldn't turn down.

...alan