Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#94533 by mmiller
Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:40 pm
The thing that bothers me is they don't do any checks incoming calls to make sure they are valid NPA (area codes) NXX (exchanges) in North America. I.E. valid number. I went round and round with customer service. The last e-mail I received was that this was going to be a future feature with out any release date. I didn't check the message boards to see if other users had some of the same complaints. I do have to say I get less random calls after using the blacklist and community blacklist. I was wondering if anyone else has had a experience like me? The number that showed up on the CID was 222-555-7777.
#94542 by scottlindner
Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 am
mmiller wrote:The thing that bothers me is they don't do any checks incoming calls to make sure they are valid NPA (area codes) NXX (exchanges) in North America. I.E. valid number. I went round and round with customer service. The last e-mail I received was that this was going to be a future feature with out any release date. I didn't check the message boards to see if other users had some of the same complaints. I do have to say I get less random calls after using the blacklist and community blacklist. I was wondering if anyone else has had a experience like me? The number that showed up on the CID was 222-555-7777.

Yes. Even with blackists and community blacklist turned on, the forged caller ID's will still get through and be bogus numbers like that.
#94644 by mmiller
Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 pm
Yes. Even with blackists and community blacklist turned on, the forged caller ID's will still get through and be bogus numbers like that.

I know how blacklists work. My point was they should already be blacklisting invalid NPA's and not completing the call. This was not a forged caller ID information as you have assumed. The number was from a NPA (Area Code) that has not been assigned by NANPA (North American Numbering Plan) and NXX (Exchange) 555 (informational number) that has no assignment and is listed by NANPA as disputed. I.E. the number will not be completed by any telephone carrier in the United States.
#94653 by scottlindner
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:53 am
mmiller wrote:

I know how blacklists work. My point was they should already be blacklisting invalid NPA's and not completing the call. This was not a forged caller ID information as you have assumed. The number was from a NPA (Area Code) that has not been assigned by NANPA (North American Numbering Plan) and NXX (Exchange) 555 (informational number) that has no assignment and is listed by NANPA as disputed. I.E. the number will not be completed by any telephone carrier in the United States.

I agree. I sort of feel this should be a separate option under the blacklist options though. To ensure that each person can choose how they want blicklisting to work when numbers are forged. The biggest risk I see with all of this is that many legitimate companies forge caller ID for various reasons. Maybe a new set of rules for blocking potentially forged caller ID? I know with my employer any call I receive at home from someone at work shows up as (area code) 000-0000. For me, my rule would be to whitelist any forged numbers with that pattern. I have a few others like that, but I can't recall what the pattern is anymore.

Cheers,
Scott
#96811 by Morac
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 am
I get spoofed number calls all the time on my cell phone. I get them on my Ooma number as well, though less often. I don't have community blacklist enabled because I found it was blacklisting legitimate callers (like Amazon and Fedex) and there's no way to whitelist them.