Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#45051 by calljoel
Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 am
Until there's federal and state legislation (that's enforced) against caller ID spoofing, blacklisting will remain a good thought that doesn't really do anything. Telespammers ignore the Do Not Call lists with impunity because the telcos enable them to mask or change the caller ID.
#46620 by joeed2
Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:58 pm
My junk calls have reduced significantly since I added my number to the do not call list a couple years ago. Then it reduced significantly again when I switched my landline number from AT&T to Ooma with community blacklist and personal blacklist.

If I compare the number of garbage calls before the do not call list using a landline, to after do not call list plus community and personal backlist. It is a night and day comparison.

Also, the ability to add a personal block call list has been worth every penny of premier ooma.
#46654 by Groundhound
Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:59 pm
calljoel wrote:Until there's federal and state legislation (that's enforced) against caller ID spoofing, blacklisting will remain a good thought that doesn't really do anything. Telespammers ignore the Do Not Call lists with impunity because the telcos enable them to mask or change the caller ID.

Blacklists work great for me - I guess the people I don't want to hear from aren't determined enough to resort to spoofing. I don't have many on my personal list - I think the community list is pretty effective.
#47620 by whn
Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 am
calljoel wrote:Until there's federal and state legislation (that's enforced) against caller ID spoofing, blacklisting will remain a good thought that doesn't really do anything. Telespammers ignore the Do Not Call lists with impunity because the telcos enable them to mask or change the caller ID.

Blacklist is the greatest feature of OOMA. They just need to iron out the web based problems like numbers not deleting, wrong tally on the number of blocked numbers. etc.
#47678 by joeed2
Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 pm

How can you enforce United States "federal" and "state" legislation, when telespammers will simply move offshore. That's the same thing that happened with email spam. They just move the servers to a country that does not care about US law.
#47680 by DTMF
Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm
The calls I'd like to eliminate lately are the political calls. I got two of those calls in my voicemail today. They're deliberately not covered by the DNC laws and because campaigns are so ad hoc, they can easily set up shop using numbers that aren't on a blacklist.
#64208 by jm9496
Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm
joeed2 wrote:How can you enforce United States "federal" and "state" legislation, when telespammers will simply move offshore. That's the same thing that happened with email spam. They just move the servers to a country that does not care about US law.

Because their clients are in the United states and are subject to fines and prosecution.
#64294 by jhphone
Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 pm
DTMF wrote:The calls I'd like to eliminate lately are the political calls. I got two of those calls in my voicemail today. They're deliberately not covered by the DNC laws and because campaigns are so ad hoc, they can easily set up shop using numbers that aren't on a blacklist.

If caller ID shows the number you can use My Ooma, Preferences, Blacklists to block it.

Works well for me -- no more DirecTV robot calls.
#64466 by scottlindner
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:11 am
whn wrote:

Blacklist is the greatest feature of OOMA. They just need to iron out the web based problems like numbers not deleting, wrong tally on the number of blocked numbers. etc.

Bingo! The blacklist feature is the only reason we pay for Premier. For a long time I was feeling the same as the OP, until the day something went wrong in Ooma's backend and it reset our account preferences online and turned off blacklist. Holy crap! We got 20 annoyance calls that day until I figured out it was the online setting that was reset. My wife also questioned the Premier service fee, but not after that day since she was the recipient of those 20 calls. 20 may not sound like a lot, but when you're there being harassed while trying to juggling a 1 year old, I came home to an unhappy wife knowing that I'm the IT guy to fix it. YIKES!

So.. that being said, there is room for improvement with the blacklist feature such as adding a whitelist, wild cards, etc. Until then, I will still be a very proud owner of Ooma that boasts of the blacklist feature to someone at least once each week.

Scott
#66483 by lbmofo
Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:31 pm
Quick question on the Blacklist. If a number is added to the blacklist, will the subsequent calls show up in the call log? If sent directly to VM for example?

Update: nevermind, found that calls from blacklisted numbers do not show up in call logs via testing.