Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#44896 by TimMonte
Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm
While the system will notify you of a voice mail and will send you the voice file it would also be nice if the system could translates into text and e-mail this to you.
#53320 by allo
Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 pm
TimMonte wrote:While the system will notify you of a voice mail and will send you the voice file it would also be nice if the system could translates into text and e-mail this to you.

Finally you got your wish!... but it comes at a "little price" :

Ooma Voicemail-to-Text service is $9.99 per month. This plan includes 40 messages, additional messages are $0.25 each.

A little too steep for me... but who knows! maybe there are some big spenders among Ooma members who can afford that!

#53367 by ernieb
Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 am
I'm disappointed that this doesn't come with the Premier package. GoogleVoice does this for *free*....
#53371 by DTMF
Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 am
ernieb wrote:I'm disappointed that this doesn't come with the Premier package. GoogleVoice does this for *free*....

The fee is probably a sign that the translation service is being sub-contracted out or is using code that Ooma has licensed on a per-user basis.
#53381 by scuubysnacks
Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm
9.99 per month is ridiculous. It should be included with Premier.

Nick-and-dime-ya , oops, I mean ooma, cant seem to get anything right lately. :!:
#53384 by allo
Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm
ernieb wrote:I'm disappointed that this doesn't come with the Premier package. GoogleVoice does this for *free*....

I forgot about Google transcription!... and how funny that is... but at least it doesn't cost anything!
#53386 by allo
Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm
scuubysnacks wrote:9.99 per month is ridiculous. It should be included with Premier.
Nick-and-dime-ya , oops, I mean ooma, cant seem to get anything right lately. :!:

I think Ooma needs to keep in mind the main reason why people dumped their previous carrier... which is plain and simple: TRY TO SAVE SOME MONEY, not to end up costing them more "with all these a la carte menu" !
#57977 by dlschleich
Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:05 pm
Correction.
Why are you all refering to voicemail translation?. What language is it supossed to translate?
However I would like it to transcribe any selected phone conversation not just when the call goes into voicemail.That would be great for anyone who receives instructions over the phone. It'd be a lot better than taking notes like crazy and still not getting everything.
Is that possble? It would then be worth the $9.99 extra.

dlschleich
#57988 by southsound
Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:18 pm
dlschleich wrote:I would like it to transcribe any selected phone conversation not just when the call goes into voicemail.That would be great for anyone who receives instructions over the phone. It'd be a lot better than taking notes like crazy and still not getting everything.
Is that possble? It would then be worth the $9.99 extra.

dlschleich

I think the expectation of a service like that costing only $9.99 a month would be a little low. Since it would be a largely manual process (unless you want the rather comical partially-usable stuff that GV does) you would be likely to pay several dollars per page. Long conversations would be very tedious unless performed by a highly skilled person with expert training - similar to that of a court reporter.