Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#44682 by ggilman
Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 pm
Which model tivo do you have? Newer models have ethernet jacks and you can obtain adapters that allow you ethernet access for some of the older models. Personally, I believe you would be better off going this route if you have the option.

If your Tivo cannot support this, it MAY still work but depends in part on your line quality and it's not guaranteed. There are actually two issues involved in what you mention. 1) connecting your tivo to your existing wall jacks 2) tivo communicating over the telo. For #1, you can search the forums on how to do this. Generally I don't believe it's a big deal and should work. For #2, tivo over the phone line assumes an analog phone. The same issues exist for the tivo that occur with faxes and security systems. Some people have success and some don't. Search the forums for connecting to tivos, security systems, and faxes. You can find some tips to better your odds but it can never be guaranteed. That's why I suggest the ethernet route if possible.
#44726 by underpar
Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:26 pm
I haven't purchased a tivo yet. Probably going with the regular hd dvr. Should I just use the tivo wireless connector and bypass connecting to a wall jack?
#44733 by KenAF
Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:08 pm
underpar wrote:I haven't purchased a tivo yet. Probably going with the regular hd dvr. Should I just use the tivo wireless connector and bypass connecting to a wall jack?

Yes.

If you haven't already, see the TivoHD FAQ right here.
#44743 by ggilman
Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm
underpar wrote:I haven't purchased a tivo yet. Probably going with the regular hd dvr. Should I just use the tivo wireless connector and bypass connecting to a wall jack?

I think you'll find your setup a lot easier if you just ignore the wall jack. As I said earlier, it may work but only after much tinkering and a bit of luck & likely a bit of frustration along the way.

I'm running a TivoHD connected to a wireless bridge. The benefit of using a bridge over a Tivo wireless adapter is that the bridge would have multiple ports so if you have a BluRay, gaming console, or something else nearby that would want an Ethernet port in the future, you don't need to add anything else, just the 1 bridge. With a wireless adapter, you need 1 for each device. Generally a bridge would be a bit more expensive than a single wireless adapter but not much and generally cheaper than 2 when needed. Either way though, I would definitely go the wireless route and forget about running it through the Telo if you have the option.