Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#43901 by Bamsquared
Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am
I would like to see a caller id program for my computer that would run in the background with an icon that lives in the taskbar notification area. When someone calls me the app would pop up a small caller id box rather then me running to grab the phone, I could see who it is first. I figure if the Ooma is already on my network, the app could also interface with the Hub and allow me to click a 'Send to VM' button for calls I don't care to answer.

Anyone else like this idea?
#43913 by amoney
Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 am
Thats why talking caller ID, although difficult at first to get use to the pronunciations, is great.

But I agree, especially like the Satalite dish users who get to see the info pop up on the TV, its a great time saver.
#43931 by caseybea
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 pm
This exists today. But, you have to remember that the Ooma is a TELEPHONE device. So, with a caller-id capable modem, and one of dozens of free or shareware programs out there, you can do exactly what you seek. If someone calls, your pc will display the caller id of the person calling.
#43946 by lohertz
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 pm
Bamsquared wrote:II figure if the Ooma is already on my network, the app could also interface with the Hub and allow me to click a 'Send to VM' button for calls I don't care to answer.

The ooma is configured through a VPN and don't believe you could get the transmission from the lan network.

caseybea wrote:This exists today. But, you have to remember that the Ooma is a TELEPHONE device. So, with a caller-id capable modem, and one of dozens of free or shareware programs out there, you can do exactly what you seek. If someone calls, your pc will display the caller id of the person calling.

Exactly, If you wanted an app like that, it means running a telephone line from the hub to the phone modem in your computer.

I'd be more inclined to see my tv connect wirelessly to the telo and give that function, similarly to the D* guys
#44715 by bobc
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:54 am
panasonic sells the phone with talking id because i have one and it works great

Bob
#51190 by Bamsquared
Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm
amoney wrote:Thats why talking caller ID, although difficult at first to get use to the pronunciations, is great.

Two issues: 1) I live with a roommate so I don't really want all my callers announced via the hub, base or even on the handset because... 2) The hub (and cordless base-station) is located in my living room, which is (I just measured) 74 feet from my bedroom.

caseybea wrote:This exists today. But, you have to remember that the Ooma is a TELEPHONE device. So, with a caller-id capable modem, and one of dozens of free or shareware programs out there, you can do exactly what you seek. If someone calls, your pc will display the caller id of the person calling.

lohertz wrote:Exactly, If you wanted an app like that, it means running a telephone line from the hub to the phone modem in your computer.

That is a cleaver solution... now how can I do it all wirelessly? is there a RJ-11 modem that can put out a signal over RJ-45? Anyone know of a device that can do this? I would like my laptop to receive the caller-ID no matter if I am on my balcony or in bed...