Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#43894 by Dude23
Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 am
I would recommend a feature that one could disable the DECT 6.0 if it is not needed from the Telo. Therefore if someone was not using the extra handset and/or did not want the extra wireless in their house they could turn it off.
#43905 by amoney
Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am
Curious why?

If there are no handsets registered with the base, the system is already OFF.
#43929 by Dude23
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm
The wireless signals do not turn off. That is how it is with all cordless phones that I know of but not cell phones.
#43938 by hpepper
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm
Yes... but you have to register a handset to the base by hitting a button on the base AND inputting the correct PIN, so no one can hijack your calls.

Also, I currently have 3 different brands of DECT 6 phones (10 total handsets)and have no interference problems.

Just curious too - why is it important to turn it off?
#43947 by Dude23
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 pm
Google Wireless pollution dangers to find out why. Now whether there is actual science to back it up is questionable. The government spent millions as came up with nothing. As for me and my wife who could be pregnant, I would want to turn it off. But that is just me. I don't want to sound alarmist but there are others like me who would welcome a feature to disable it so they can forget about it.
#43962 by southsound
Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:10 pm
Dude23 wrote:Google Wireless pollution dangers to find out why. Now whether there is actual science to back it up is questionable. The government spent millions as came up with nothing. As for me and my wife who could be pregnant, I would want to turn it off. But that is just me. I don't want to sound alarmist but there are others like me who would welcome a feature to disable it so they can forget about it.

This might be a case where the ooma hub or hub/scout combination would be a more pleasing system. It does not have any kind of wireless base built in and works very well. I have both the Telo and the hub/scout and quality on both is awesome. If it is too late to make the switch, then consider placing the Telo base in a part of the house that is not frequently used by your wife at least until you are either sure it will not be a problem or your child is born. I think the amount of radiation emitted by the Telo is quite low compared to many other devices - including wireless routers - but they usually have a way to disable the radio signal.

My first thought was to post my usual "Sky is falling chicken" image - but I greatly respect your concern for your family's health and well being. Welcome to ooma and I hope you are able to make things work in a way that satisfies your needs.
#46112 by sjpn
Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 pm
I also think this is mandatory feature. I have a 3 yr old and a newborn and our apartment has cell phone towers on the roof. This caused enough concern for us to make an investment in a device to measure RF signal strength in our apartment. We found that we were well above the European and US limits. We shielded our windows and found the wifi was emiting radiation beyond the US and European specs. We switched to all wired ethernet and corded phones and now the ooma is still emitting RF well over US and European allowance. I would like to turn off the DECT 6.0 as well. Hopefully a future firmware update will address this.
#46114 by murphy
Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:59 pm
Are you making your measurements at the prescribed distance or are you sticking the meter right at the unit?
RF signals decrease according to the square law. ie. they drop off really fast with distance.
#127630 by jltraveler
Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm
So it's been 5 years since the last response in this post, and still you cannot turn off the DECT broadcast feature. I would think this would be a software feature. Come on Ooma! Help us out already.

My issue with it is a little different. I now live in New Zealand and thought it would be great to bring the Ooma base with me. I plugged it into my network here and it worked great. I could make a receive calls as if I was in the states. I do not have a wireless HD2 Handset, instead I went out and bought a New Zealand compliment cordless phone. Just this week I had a knock on the door from Vodaphone (cell phone provider in NZ). They said I had a non compliant device that was conflicting with their cell tower. When we turned off the Ooma base station, the problem went away. Their antenna is 1/2 mile away! I have research everywhere and even opened up the base station to see if I could disable the antenna. It is built right into the circuit board.

Does anyone have any ideas? Someone suggested a faraday cage.