Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#2848 by dlubbs
Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:51 pm
I have ATT phone/DLS and am porting my number as well. I called ATT to dry loop my DSL and was told there would be an extra charge. Here is what I ended up doing:

1. To keep me as a customer, they installed a very basic 2nd line (waived all installation charges) and added DSL to that line. Customer retention rates with the new line and DSL were less than dry looping my original DSL line with the extra charge. Make sure they bill the second line/DSL on a separate account.

2. Cancelled the DSL on my first line and ported that number to Ooma. Still waiting for the porting to be done. You can keep your email addresses and internet accounts when you re-register your modem and DSL once the 2nd line is installed. I had no interuption of service.

3. Once porting is done, I will cancel the first line and only have the 2nd line w/ DSL for under $30/month with High Speed Pro service (3Mbps) and use the line with DSL as emergency landline.

Hope this helps!
#2852 by WayneDsr
Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:33 pm
Just curious, but what they told me was after the change, my $30 dsl with phone would go to $40 without phone.
So what you're saying is that you added a new dsl/landline on the new second line with a new phone number?

Thanks,
Wayne
#2869 by dlubbs
Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm
I had one line with DSL. I wanted to keep that number and have it ported so everyone would still have my number, and when I called to dry loop the DSL, they gave me what they called "customer retention" incentives. So, to accomplish what I wanted, I got a basic (no caller ID or anything) 50 calls/month second line installed (14.99/month after lifetime $5 off) and DSL installed on that line for $15/month (50% off (regularly $30/month). They waived the install fees. This line is set up on a new separate account.

After the 2nd line was installed for backup landline/DSL service, I ported my old line to Ooma, and that process is currently going on. I live in Michigan, so the incentives might be different for you, but I have found that if you call and complain about prices and say you will go elsewhere (but do it nicely without making them mad or offended) they will discount anything. I was only paying $20/month for DSL Pro (lifetime rate) before I started this adventure.

I have already connected my modem to the new line/DSL service and registered the account online so it works with the new number. In the next week, I will cancel the DSL on my original line since the internet account is fully transfered now.

Once the original phone number porting is complete, I am going to cancel that line and I will have my original number as an Ooma number, a backup landline (the new one), and DSL service all for $30/month.
#2870 by dlubbs
Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm
Sorry, guess I should read more carefully. The answer is yes, I added a second line with a new number billed on separate accounts and had DSL added to that line. I will keep my original line account open until the number is ported and then cancel it.

Sorry of the mostly repeat post prior to this,

Dan
#2871 by WayneDsr
Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm
Thanks for the detail.
This should be the way to go for me as well. I am in Indiana, so hopefully the deal will be the same.
Thanks again, sounds like a great plan.

Wayne
#2899 by number9
Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 am
trim81 wrote:Mike and number9: any updates to your scenario?

Did ATT shut down the DSL as well?

No updates here. I'm still waiting for my porting to be completed, then I can fire my phone company. Uh, hopefully fire my phone company.

I'm also in Indiana. Near Notre Dame. Go Irish!