Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#2514 by mikenels2000
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:24 am
Hi, I just installed my ooma device, and requested to port my number over from ATT while I was prepared to cancel my phone landline service shortly after the phone # is transferred.

I talked to a co-worker who said that ATT will not allow DSL service without having a landline! This weekend I was switching to ATT-UVerse and upgraded DSL package separate from my phone service(still AT&T).

I guess I will need to call AT&T to verify this, but was wondering if anyone else was familiar with this or had disconnected AT&T phone while still retaining the DSL service through AT&T, and how to navigate this?? My goal is to keep AT&T UVerse and DSL, and cancel my landline outright.

Thanks for any advice.
#2516 by number9
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:38 am
I have AT&T U-Verse, with the voice service. I have requested my number to be ported. Plan on canceling my voice service. So, I too am hopeful this will work. I see no reason we could not cancel the AT&T voice and still keep the t.v. and internet.
Sorry this doesn't help you much.
#2542 by jokerboy
Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:01 pm
I have Uverse also, but Uverse Voice is not available in my area yet. My landline is currenlty with my cable provider (until my number gets ported).

I had originally wanted to get Uverse Voice, but while waiting for it to be offered in my area I discovered ooma.

I no longer have plans to get a landline from either AT&T or Uverse, so I'd have to say that it isn't a strict rule with AT&T, although I'm sure they'll try to discourage you.

Good Luck.
#2609 by WayneDsr
Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm
AT&T told me they had to change my DSL to "dry loop" and charge $10 more than I was paying for DSL.
Then, offered me a plan that included basic phone and DSL for a lower price for the first 3 months, I think. They'll do anything to keep you attached to your phone.

Wayne
#2633 by FJWerner
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:23 pm
For what it's worth, I'm a Uverse customer and have no landline service with anyone. My Internet comes thru the router for the Uverse system.. no telephone line hookup at all.
#2638 by footballref
Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm
I did not port my AT&T number. I did call and cancel it. I also have DSL. They are now charging me $5 extra for the DSL. They did cancel my phone service with no questions asked.
#2701 by WayneDsr
Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 am
I have AT&T dsl/phone service. I intend on porting my landline number over to ooma.
Has anyone had a DSL interruption due to porting the number and changing the service to dry loop?
I asked AT&T a while ago (before I bought ooma) if I could delete the phone portion of the service and they told me that my line needed to be tested to see if it could support dry loop. Is this just AT&T "spin"?

Thanks,
Wayne
#2708 by WayneDsr
Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm
Ok, I found my answer under porting my phone number in the lounge.
I have to disassociate or "dry loop" my dsl from my phone before porting.
Thanks!
Wayne
#2710 by murphy
Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:20 pm
Do NOT cancel the AT&T phone service before the port has been completed or you will lose the number and the port will fail.
#2713 by WayneDsr
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:41 pm
Right, and keep my phone number. Thanks.
I might also upgrade my DSL speed from 3.0 to (upto) 6.0 while I'm at it.
I'm wondering if the old copper will handle anything close to 6.0.

Wayne