Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#43725 by danmiller3
Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 am
Hi there -
Curious of opinions out there. Lots of cool stuff being announced for the Teleo. No mention of the Hub anywhere. Is it orphaned? I just bought Ooma in October, so this is frustrating to me....

Thoughts?

--Dan
#43735 by ggilman
Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 pm
I wouldn't consider it 'orphaned', I'm sure there will be more updates. However, and this is just my opinion, I believe more focus will be placed on development for the Telo. It has more processing power and memory and hence more possibilities for future advancement. My assumption is that any new features would be added to the Telo first and then from there it would be determined the chances of porting the code to the hub. Some additional features would work fine porting to the hub, others might not.

Again, this is all just my opinion and I have no insider info. It just seems like an older operating system. You expect patches and fixes to it but any real new features would be out in the newer version of the os, with the occasional new feature being added to the old one where it was easy & worthwhile to do.
#43742 by sfhub
Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm
In my opinion they'll be sparingly writing new code for the Hub. Bug fixes and maybe a feature or two if they are very popular ones and don't require that much work.

You'll probably see enhancements that are totally server-side implementations though.

I would just look at the features you have on the Hub today as what was promised by Ooma. Any more would be gravy.

In the case of many of the new features, I think it has more to do with resources, time constraints, and licensing than on the inherent capabilities of the hardware. The HD stuff might be hardware dependent but not something like Google Voice extensions.

Just my opinion.
#43757 by caseybea
Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm
By the way, "orphaned" or no, I considered it (the core) a viable enough product and got it anyway, because I *really* wanted caller-id-with-name, and don't wish the additional expense of ooma premiere at this juncture.

Premiere still needs some tweaks worked out before I'd pay for it, such as making the 1-to-pickup multidiial an option (let me turn it off, please), or setting up the OPTION of multiring caller-id to be the id of my ooma (so I KNOW it's a call to my home), etc.

ooma recently upped the price of premium; I am holding out for the feature set to be improved as well- and they're actually not big requests. They are, however, popular with many other people wanting them....

I digress. Despite the focus being the telo- I got a core anyway. Works for me. :)
#43801 by amoney
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm
I wouldn't sweat it.

If I would have known the Telo was going to be delayed as much as it was, I would have gotten the Core 12/2008 when I first heard about Ooma. But I really wanted the new Telo and working multi handsets. Waited forever for the new Telo, so when it finally arrived I just decided to see this new Marvel. Frankly I was not overwhelmingly impressed. It is "neat" and all but by all accounts you may have a more solid product with the HUB (less the dazzeling upcoming new features of the Telo). I would not get jealous over "processor and memory" either, and the Telo also has DTMF tone issues the same as the HUB. Not to mention call waiting caller ID issues as well. So I was hoping that the Telo product would be "a better voip box" but frankly I dont feel that I have any advanage.

Again I wish I would have gotten a CORE system, but Ooma, you teased me and many other users. Now if Ooma would have put out real expected release date for the Telo, I would have jumped on the CORE and then later also gotten the Telo, again Ooma missed more revenue.
#43821 by bw1
Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm
Well, without knowing the specifics of what and when new features will be released, one new feature Pure Voice is supposed to be for both the Hub and Telo. Also, I would think contacts will be improved and will be available to all users including basic/core users.
#43824 by scoutconnor
Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 pm
bw1 wrote:Well, without knowing the specifics of what and when new features will be released, one new feature Pure Voice is supposed to be for both the Hub and Telo. Also, I would think contacts will be improved and will be available to all users including basic/core users.

I believe Google Voice Extensions is also going to be available for both the Hub and Telo.
#43829 by bw1
Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:53 pm
scoutconnor wrote:
bw1 wrote:Well, without knowing the specifics of what and when new features will be released, one new feature Pure Voice is supposed to be for both the Hub and Telo. Also, I would think contacts will be improved and will be available to all users including basic/core users.

I believe Google Voice Extensions is also going to be available for both the Hub and Telo.

Unfortunately, there's some concern that it won't be available for the Hub. I haven't seen any confirmation (say from Dennis P) of that though.
#43840 by dsegel
Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Does anybody really know what the GV extensions will do for us anyway? There's plenty of talk, but no details of what they actually are.
#43856 by sfhub
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 am
Don't know what they ended up implementing but this is what they put in their press release from last year:
https://www.ooma.com/media/press-release ... experience
Palo Alto, Calif — March 18, 2009 — ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. ooma simplifies the Google Voice user experience, enabling consumers to take advantage of the complementary capabilities found in both offerings, for a truly integrated and seamless phone experience – regardless of phone type or location.

“When consumers combine Google Voice with ooma in the home, they realize superior voice communication functionality with the greatest cost savings of any personal unified communications system available today,” said Rich Buchanan, Chief Marketing Officer at ooma. “We look forward to enhancing the features of Google Voice for our current and future ooma Premier customers.

Some of the features that make ooma the optimal home platform for Google Voice users include:

ooma GVE Outbound Caller ID Integration
ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions allows ooma users to display their Google Voice caller ID on outbound calls from ooma systems with no need to dial additional call prompts or 20 digit phone numbers.

ooma GVE SMS text integration
With ooma Telo™ handsets (available this coming August), Google Voice SMS messages may be displayed on the handsets in the home, not just on a cell phone.

ooma GVE Home Phone Integration
ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions allows calls sent to an ooma home phone to be forwarded directly to a Google Voice number for routing just as if the call were originally directed to a Google Voice number. This overcomes the limitation of not being able to port phone numbers to the Google Voice service. This is made possible by the patent-pending Instant Second Line™ feature found in ooma Premier.

ooma GVE Call Announce
In households where multiple Google Voice accounts exist, ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions can allow for different Google Voice accounts to forward calls directly to specific handsets in a home. The GVE Call Announce feature will also voice an announcement of who in the household the call is intended based on which Google Voice account originated the call.

ooma GVE Listen In feature
ooma Premier Google Voice extensions allows a user at home to monitor and intercept a voicemail as it is being left without dialing any additional call prompts.

ooma GVE One Touch Voice Mail
ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions allows ooma users to access their Google Voice mailbox with a single touch of a button on an ooma Hub, Scout, or Telo handset. This eliminates the need to dial a Google Voice number and then password to gain access to voice mail.

An ooma system consists of the ooma Hub™ connected to a broadband connection and an existing home phone. The ooma Scout device extends the benefits of the ooma system to additional phone jacks in the home. The ooma system is a $249.99 hardware bundle that includes an ooma Hub and ooma Scout. ooma Premier is an optional level of service offering multiple advanced telephony features for the ooma system and costs $12.99 per month or $99.99 per year. ooma Telo is the second generation ooma hardware platform and will be available with optional DECT 6.0 wireless handsets in the third quarter of 2009.