Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#43615 by in2dadark
Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm
AZGuyJoe wrote:Aha! I didn't see that one.
Still no answer to the question although there's a lot of speculation.
My concern is the ponzi scheme element of ooma's business plan (and I don't mean that in a negative way).
If only 25% of their customers sign up for premium after spending $200 or so on the hardware they don't have much in terms of an on-going revenue stream so they have to sell more and more hardware to get revenue and get the additional premium subscribers.
Don't get me wrong, I like ooma and the service has been great. I just don't want to pick up the phone one day and my ooma dial tone has gone mute.

Ooma is no more a ponzi scheme than the job you work at. Social security is a Ponzi scheme. The cable company is a ponzi scheme if ooma is and so is your last phone provider. People like to throw that phrase around a little too liberally.
#43624 by southsound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:05 pm
AZGuyJoe wrote:Not the issue. I'm looking out a bit more long term than Costco's return window.
Thanks.

That's a VERY long time. As long as Costco is around, you will be able to return your ooma.
#43651 by farmington
Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 am
A wild guess: 135,000 customers as of 12/31/2009.

Here is how I get there:

Estimated number of customers as of 12/31/2008: 20,000 (some of whom have since left as a result of churn)
Source: Rich Buchanan said "Ooma has sold "north" of 20,000 units to date" in an interview published on 3/19/2009.
http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/ooma-co ... 2009-03-19

As of 3/08/09, 2009 revenues were projected to be $20MM.
Source: http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-03-09/b ... ne-service

Assuming an average retail selling price of $220/unit (assuming only Telos and Hubs), and an average retail cost of goods sold of 75% -- see Best Buy's recent Quarterly Report -- 115,000 unit sales in 2009 generates $19MM (115,000 * $165).

Further assumptions: Premium sales generate $1.4MM in 2009. 25% of customers take premium services (see fiercevoip link above). Customers that started Ooma service before 2009 generate $0.4MM in 2009 premium revenue and customers that started service in 2009 generate $1.0MM (assuming most became customers later in the year).

Those assumptions get you to revenue of $20MM for calendar year 2009. My analysis is weak. The weakest part of the analysis is the reliance on a revenue projection for the full year 2009 that dates back to mid-March, 2009. Of course, with the delayed and long-awaited Telo roll-out in the fourth quarter of 2009 and a huge pick-up in sales during the 2009 Christmas selling season (reduced by post-Christmas returns), 2009 revenue would not have been easy to forecast, even if you were Ooma management. I am sure it was exciting to be working at Ooma in 2009!
#46015 by Carfixer64
Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:07 pm
I am in Florida and had ooma and premier service since September 2008. It has been great and also has 3 other family members in Australia with their own hubs .

It has really paid for itself and over this time saved me a lot . Looking at the forums from time to time, it looks as if there are more and more hooking up with ooma.

Maybe some one here can start a thread where all of the users can just put in their Forum user name and see how the list grows to see how big the ooma family is.

Just an idea !!!!!
#46023 by minime
Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Carfixer64 wrote:Maybe some one here can start a thread where all of the users can just put in their Forum user name and see how the list grows to see how big the ooma family is.

Just an idea !!!!!

The assumption that every Ooma consumer has joined this board is, well, faulty. However, you can click on the "Members" link at the top of this page, you'll see that there are 296 pages of member ids and each full page contains 25 entries. So, with full participation by all members, the number is 7400. Take out the moderators, and maybe we're down to 7380. The last page will have between 1 and 25 entries, so let's subtract another 12 entries and we're at 7368. If that's close to the total number in "the Ooma family", then you gotta wonder how does Ooma do it?! :shock:

But fun idea! :D
#46070 by southsound
Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 am
ggilman wrote:
Ooma has passed the critical 100,000 unit mark with flying colors and is growing faster every day.

http://twitter.com/richbuchanan

Yes, but can you really believe a person who is currently selling pencils on the streetcorner, right next to the guy playing three-card monte? :P
#46092 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am
southsound wrote:
ggilman wrote:
Ooma has passed the critical 100,000 unit mark with flying colors and is growing faster every day.

http://twitter.com/richbuchanan

Yes, but can you really believe a person who is currently selling pencils on the streetcorner, right next to the guy playing three-card monte? :P

So is that 100,000 active units or just sales not including the returns.

Yeah, I said it!

:D
#46874 by thively
Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:03 am
I would strongly suspect that's sales, not active units. However with a product like this, I would expect a very high percentage of those are still active. Ooma is a utility that you get and keep using for a long time. It's not just some typical toy you buy and forget about over time. And it works very well so few people have reason to dump it.