Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#42603 by tonytrenta
Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 pm
when i call in to check messages on my own answering machine , the answering machine dose not recognize the tones why?
i tried a different answering machine same results. it use to work when i first got ooma :?:
#42606 by murphy
Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm
Incoming tones are blocked.
They will never work on the old hub.
They are supposed to eventually work on the Telo but so far they don't.
#42619 by Davesworld
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:08 pm
Precisely why if at all possible I buy DECT systems with no built in answering machine. A power or internet outage at home would make it impossible even if DTMF tones were supported or worse yet, the answering machine dies. Having voicemail available by multiple methods that can be retrieved anywhere and even emailed to you, I just can't see having a home answering machine these days but that's me. I do realize that some folks like mailboxes for multiple member households and I can't fault them for this.
#42623 by amoney
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:32 pm
Davesworld wrote:Precisely why if at all possible I buy DECT systems with no built in answering machine. A power or internet outage at home would make it impossible even if DTMF tones were supported or worse yet, the answering machine dies. Having voicemail available by multiple methods that can be retrieved anywhere and even emailed to you, I just can't see having a home answering machine these days but that's me. I do realize that some folks like mailboxes for multiple member households and I can't fault them for this.

I understand the benefit but I have no reason to check messages at home, thats just me. Moreover I find my answering machine/handset has more features such as visual mail (like the iPhone does things), I can see the message log (name and number) on my handset (XL display) and pick which message to listen too.

Now my previous Panasonic 5.8 handsets although did not have visual mail I was still able to navigate messages from the handset, the handsets had so many features it was rediculous (and that was not incuding a model option of color LCD screens that you can load wallpaper). My previous Panasonic 5.8 handsets allowed you rip your own mp3 ring tone, and subsequently custom ring tone for any person to have their own so you do have to even look at the caller ID. There were other things such as custom ringer light (4 basic colors) to associate to caller ID etc. Sound was great and had no interference issues.

Anyways, my expectations are very high, and ultimately the Ooma voice mail for that single benefit is not for me.
#42636 by Davesworld
Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:46 pm
murphy wrote:Incoming tones are blocked.
They will never work on the old hub.
They are supposed to eventually work on the Telo but so far they don't.

I thought it was the iLBC codec that prevented dtmf?