Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#42379 by 9204wilson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 am
Hello,

When I activated my Ooma Telo on Christmas day, during the activation procedure, I did not activate the wall port on the back side of the Telo. But, none the less, I plugged the Telo from its wall port into the wall jack for line 2 in the wall of my house. It worked. Any phone in my house that was plugged into any line 2 wall jack was able to recieve and make Ooma phone calls.

Now, a few weeks later, that little system is not working for me. The phone I have plugged into the line 2 phone jack downstairs is not able to obtain the Ooma dial tone. Is there a reason why this system has stopped working? I called the Ooma Support people and the woman there said that I need to get splitter and connect one half of that to the wall jack and the other to the telephone I have connected to the telephone that sits next to the Telo. But, I don't want to do that if I can go from the Telo wall port to the Line 2 jack in the wall of my house.

Please note that I have a land line 1 in the house and I do not have that intertwined with the Ooma Telo. On purpose, I keep them separate because I am using Ooma exclusivly for my business.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
#42382 by southsound
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 am
The wall port on the Telo has NO PURPOSE except in the situation where you integrate your landline with the Telo which you have posted you did not do. I'm surprised that you had any connectivity from that port. Is there a chance that the cable has been changed? I also recommend that you make sure you have disconnected your line 2 wiring at the telco Network Interfacee Box on the outside of the house to prevent backfeed and possible damage to your Telo.
#42389 by 9204wilson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 am
Do you suggest that I do as the support person told me to do and get the splitter to go from the Telo phone port to the wall jack ?

Hmmm. Interesting that you say I should disconnect line 2 at the Telco Box. If I remember right, I called Ooma support and specifically asked about that and they said that I don't really have to do that. I think that I will take your advice and do it anyway.

Rob
#42390 by southsound
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 pm
Rob, as a test, you can just change the cable from the wall to phone port and leave your cordless phone disconnected. Then go to a phone somewhere else in the house and try the phone connected to line 2. It should work unless something else has become convoluted. If it works fine, then you can get the splitter (typically available at the Dollar Store - I forget the price :P ). The reason for disconnecting your home wiring from line 2 is that if the telco for some reason sends power over that pair, your equipment could be harmed. But even more likely is that you will get some noise on your line. I always put a note in the box: Do Not Reconnect this line. Doing so may damage customer equipment.
#42392 by 9204wilson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 pm
Thanks for the info. I have disconnected the proper wiring from the telco box and I am heading out the door to purchase the splitter. Good call about the note. I will add it also.

Thanks,

Rob