Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#45879 by Canoe
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:43 pm
I was one of those very early adopters, but only got around to installing it last month, January 2010. My limited but frustrating experience leads me to believe that the entire forum should re-focus: we should all be focused on forcing ooma to be more forthcoming and more responsive, even perhaps more sensitive and polite. They obviously don't give a rat's rump that early adopters are placed at a disadvantage, and they don't seem to care either about responsiveness and service. Their phone response organization is in the Philippines, just like Verizon's; their rote answers and often wrong information might be inevitable from a quasimonopolist behemoth like Verizon but are hardly what I'd expect from a startup. And I've left several email requests (as invited) for information and help and have to date received exactly zero response. So I suggest taking the problems to the places where consumers buy Ooma phones, and leaving factually accurate information for prospective buyers as to what kind and level of service they can expect.
#45880 by southsound
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:57 pm
Canoe,

You may have the very best of intentions, but this is a user forum. We sometimes have a visit from ooma moderators, but for the most part, it is users helping other users. I would venture to guess that most of the frequent posters to the forum have much greater technical expertise and experience than any of the front line tech support people. Many are engineers, some from a telco background, others from companies like Microsoft. This gives a user a great resource for unusual problems as well as the more mundane. If you have an issue, why not give us the details (in another thread unless it is about GVE) and let us help? I've only had my hub for a year now - my Telo since August. But I have a pretty hefty degree of knowledge about making ooma work. Of course, there are some things that only the higher level ooma supertechs can do - but even then, we can tell you how to gather the information you need and best get action.

I don't work for ooma. I'm retired and a pastor. Electronics and now VOIP are my hobbies. But I support ooma because I think they have some great people, a great concept, and some darn good hardware. I would hate to see them fail because I have several of their products that stop working if ooma goes away. Sure, I've had problems. In fact, one of the larger threads on the forum are when I was "Looking for a Normal Telephone Experience" - you can do a search and find it. I have been happy for 11 months now. Consider what I suggested - try starting a thread with your frustrations and problems and let us try to help you.
#45965 by amoney
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 pm
Canoe wrote:I was one of those very early adopters, but only got around to installing it last month, January 2010. My limited but frustrating experience leads me to believe that the entire forum should re-focus: we should all be focused on forcing ooma to be more forthcoming and more responsive, even perhaps more sensitive and polite. They obviously don't give a rat's rump that early adopters are placed at a disadvantage, and they don't seem to care either about responsiveness and service. Their phone response organization is in the Philippines, just like Verizon's; their rote answers and often wrong information might be inevitable from a quasimonopolist behemoth like Verizon but are hardly what I'd expect from a startup. And I've left several email requests (as invited) for information and help and have to date received exactly zero response. So I suggest taking the problems to the places where consumers buy Ooma phones, and leaving factually accurate information for prospective buyers as to what kind and level of service they can expect.


I dont think you can say your part of the early adopter if you just installed the system. Your actually a LATE adopter. You really can not complain much as there are loads of posts complaining about known issues. Its pretty transparent here in Oomas forum.

I must say for all of Ooma's faults, they actually deserve credit for allowing a pretty open forum here. I was not impressed with Vonages user forum.

Yor post is similar to me buying a car and then a new model comes out and I complain about missing features. There is no guarrantees made that you buy a certain piece of hardware that it will have the same capabilities as the next new model. Hell my newer handsets have LESS features then my old handsets!!! Or my DSLR camera, christ, new models come out about ever 6 moths with newer features.

I dont think based on your post you understand what an earlier adopter is.
#45970 by t4feb
Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:03 pm
Its only my thought about the GV Ext. It was mentioned awhile back before Telco came out about GV and we all thought it would be allowed with the hub. I would like to see it allowed with the hub but won't give ooma up if its not. Only my thought
#46107 by Tiger5353
Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Ok I know what I'm about to say most, (if not all) will not agree with me. But this is a forum and we should be able to say what we think so here goes.

I have been disappointed and even a bit upset with different company's in the past because of what the company says the product will do after they update it, but as i thought on it i finally decided i should just buy a product based on what it could do for me as it is NOW and not worry about what it can do for me possibly in the future.

Company's say what there products can and will do to sell the product. Sometimes the last part can't always be done, either for cost reasons or because it's just not possible. I do not know which it is in this case, or if it's a different reason all together. But buying a product based on what the company says it can do in the future to me is not very wise.

I admit in the past i have indeed not been wise in this regard and have sense corrected my reasoning.

Sense that time I have been mostly happy with the products I do buy. At times the products don't do what the company says and i do indeed get upset if they don't fix the product i bought, this has resulted in me returning many products in the past. I did buy a telo and IF GVE does become available I will be happy to use the features of it. But if i had bought a hub instead of a telo i still would be happy with it. I did not buy it based on GVE, i bought it for what it does now.

Just my 2 cents. :)
#46115 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm
Tiger5353 wrote:Ok I know what I'm about to say most, (if not all) will not agree with me. But this is a forum and we should be able to say what we think so here goes.

I have been disappointed and even a bit upset with different company's in the past because of what the company says the product will do after they update it, but as i thought on it i finally decided i should just buy a product based on what it could do for me as it is NOW and not worry about what it can do for me possibly in the future.

Company's say what there products can and will do to sell the product. Sometimes the last part can't always be done, either for cost reasons or because it's just not possible. I do not know which it is in this case, or if it's a different reason all together. But buying a product based on what the company says it can do in the future to me is not very wise.

I admit in the past i have indeed not been wise in this regard and have sense corrected my reasoning.

Sense that time I have been mostly happy with the products I do buy. At times the products don't do what the company says and i do indeed get upset if they don't fix the product i bought, this has resulted in me returning many products in the past. I did buy a telo and IF GVE does become available I will be happy to use the features of it. But if i had bought a hub instead of a telo i still would be happy with it. I did not buy it based on GVE, i bought it for what it does now.

Just my 2 cents. :)


I agree.

I dont really come across buying a product based on future features/updates, the google voice extensions was advertised availble in the future. But the Telo itself was let loose with features on the box not working, contacts being a big one!

In all other cases, if I buy a product and something does not work, I return it.

Ooma is very furtunate that its user base is tolerant of issues.

I really dont knwo whats worst, not realeasing a product or releasing a product broken.

Promise-ware features, well thats just a added bonus when that comes through. Thats why I did not wait for the Telo multi handset fix, christ I waited long enough for the Telo alone, I went the route of using my own handset, and got the Telo for what it can do for me NOW!
#46119 by Tiger5353
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 pm
amoney wrote:
I agree.

But the Telo itself was let loose with features on the box not working, contacts being a big one!



Hummm.... Didn't catch that one until you just said something about it. Had to find my box to see what you were referring to. It reads "Easy upload of your contact list to your Telo Headset".Yea i agree that is a big one. I went to a friends house to see what it could really do before i bought it. Plus I looked at many reviews both good and bad before i made my mind up to get it. For me the features that didn't work was not enough of a concern to keep me from getting it.
#46135 by F4ith
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 pm
Only if I had known that this forum existed before I bought my Hub + Scout last Saturday, then I would have bought the Telo. Now I am in a middle of porting my landline and I think it will be a nightmare if I return my hub + scout and get the Telo. Sigh...
#46140 by tommies
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm
F4ith wrote:Only if I had known that this forum existed before I bought my Hub + Scout last Saturday, then I would have bought the Telo. Now I am in a middle of porting my landline and I think it will be a nightmare if I return my hub + scout and get the Telo. Sigh...

You should try to call CS and ask if you call change from hub+scout to telo when your number is porting. I think it's doable.
#46141 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:55 pm
F4ith wrote:Only if I had known that this forum existed before I bought my Hub + Scout last Saturday, then I would have bought the Telo. Now I am in a middle of porting my landline and I think it will be a nightmare if I return my hub + scout and get the Telo. Sigh...


The PORT is not device dependent... its just account dependent. If you really want to, call customer service and see whats involved.

The reason it may be tricky is the Core account has differnt features, and I believe Ooma was trying to prevent people pulling a fast one by getting a Core then returning for a Telo.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests