Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41870 by moofrank
Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:49 am
So this bit about "current and future home phone systems" was at the very least a stretch of the truth, and possibly an outright lie.

Not happy.
Like at least one another, I bought Ooma and Premier BECAUSE of Google Voice.

If they aren't going to support the Hub, I want an equipment upgrade.

Palo Alto, Calif — March 18, 2009 —

ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. ooma simplifies the Google Voice user experience, enabling consumers to take advantage of the complementary capabilities found in both offerings, for a truly integrated and seamless phone experience – regardless of phone type or location.
#41874 by bw1
Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 am
moofrank wrote:So this bit about "current and future home phone systems" was at the very least a stretch of the truth, and possibly an outright lie.

Not happy.
Like at least one another, I bought Ooma and Premier BECAUSE of Google Voice.

If they aren't going to support the Hub, I want an equipment upgrade.

Palo Alto, Calif — March 18, 2009 —

ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. ooma simplifies the Google Voice user experience, enabling consumers to take advantage of the complementary capabilities found in both offerings, for a truly integrated and seamless phone experience – regardless of phone type or location.

And here's a press release that pre-dates the GVE announcement:

Las Vegas — January 7, 2009 —

oma today unveiled its next generation phone – Telo™ – the premier phone system that offers unlimited US calling for free, with no monthly fees, and huge savings on international calls. Packed with new features, Telo offers an unparalleled telephone experience at a significant cost savings to consumers.

It would be great if they supported new premier functionality, like GVE, on the Hub, especially since it would increase they're premier revenue. But nowhere did they say that GVE would support the Hub.

And there is nothing preventing you from getting an equipment upgrade, you just have to go out and buy it. You can then call CS and move your Hub account to the new Telo and sell the Hub, if you want.
#41894 by joeed2
Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:27 pm
What about people with the Hub and Lifetime Premier. I don't think they can just run out and pick up a new Telo and transfer lifetime premier over to it, since lifetime premier is tied to the hardware.
#41897 by crpeck
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 pm
I also purchased my Hub expecting integration with GVE, that was after reading through the various announcements. If they had specifically said GVE would be for the Telo & future models, I would have purchased a Telo. Argghhh - mo money, with the Hub I figured it would pay for itself in a few months (then if they go down the tubes I would at least get my $ worth). If I have to shell out more money & then try to sell the Hub, well - what a PITA...
Not a happy Ooma Hub owner, but, still waiting for a specific announcement indicating that GVE will NOT be available for the Hub, a careful optimist?
#41903 by crpeck
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm
I just went back and re-read the Google Voice announce made last srping, towards the bottom it says (after it says that GVE will be available for all current and future models:

"An ooma system consists of the ooma Hub™ connected to a broadband connection and an existing home phone. The ooma Scout device extends the benefits of the ooma system to additional phone jacks in the home. The ooma system is a $249.99 hardware bundle that includes an ooma Hub and ooma Scout. ooma Premier is an optional level of service offering multiple advanced telephony features for the ooma system and costs $12.99 per month or $99.99 per year. ooma Telo is the second generation ooma hardware platform and will be available with optional DECT 6.0 wireless handsets in the third quarter of 2009."

My read from that is that GVE will be available for Premier customers that have the current model - which is clearly stated as being the Hub.
#41958 by BlueHeeler
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:42 pm
crpeck,

I completely agree with your read on that press release, and that was my assumption when I bought the hub in late sept just before the telo was released. The only prerequisite mentioned for GVE was Premier. There was also speculation that GVE would be released before the Telo. I personally assume GVE wasn't tied to the hardware. GV is my primary number and the fact Ooma was going to support it was mainly why I even looked at Ooma in the first place. I'm relieved now that I did not sign up for Lifetime Premier. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but I had a 6 month referral credit for Premier to use up, so figured I'd wait to see the delivery of GVE before making a lifetime commitment.
#41968 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:07 am
Have any of you actually tried using Google Voice with your existing hub? I think you will find that it works wonderfully! I am not that excited about the extensions because I already have all I need with GV and my hub. I also have a Telo but have used GV with the hub since July and think it rocks. If you are just whining about the lack of GV for the hub, have you actually USED GV? I think you would be more excited about the pairing of GV with your ooma product than anything. I fail to see a great benefit with the extensions that cannot be realized now.
#41981 by BlueHeeler
Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:03 am
southsound,

I use GV all the time. The biggest feature I was looking for was stamping my caller ID with my GV number.

Of course we could dial our google voice number, wait for the required rings, press star, enter our pass code, press 2 enter the outgoing number and then #, but this is cumbersome. You can't use your phone's phone book to do this, you can't expect other members in your house to do this etc.

The integrated VM would have been nice as well.

But Southsound, here's the rub or the bait and switch. From the blog post of March 18th:

"ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. "

Current and future systems planned for summer release. This was to be released on both Hub and Telo and released before the Telo was released. It's a matter of a company promising features to lure customers and then deciding not to deliver.
I don't think this can be interpreted in any other way.
#42049 by Potts
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:25 pm
BlueHeeler wrote:southsound,

I use GV all the time. The biggest feature I was looking for was stamping my caller ID with my GV number.

Of course we could dial our google voice number, wait for the required rings, press star, enter our pass code, press 2 enter the outgoing number and then #, but this is cumbersome. You can't use your phone's phone book to do this, you can't expect other members in your house to do this etc.

The integrated VM would have been nice as well.

But Southsound, here's the rub or the bait and switch. From the blog post of March 18th:

"ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. "

Current and future systems planned for summer release. This was to be released on both Hub and Telo and released before the Telo was released. It's a matter of a company promising features to lure customers and then deciding not to deliver.
I don't think this can be interpreted in any other way.

Maybe it's time to notify the attorney general in California and your state also. It appears that Ooma is luring people into buying this product under false pretenses
#42081 by moofrank
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm
It seems that we should wait until they actually release the Google Voice extensions before taking action beyond grumbling and expressing displeasure.

The integrated VM was the feature I was looking forward to.