Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41621 by lipmanc
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 am
This is a BIGGIE!

I've been with Vonage for years. Never left, because NOBODY ELSE could provide multi-ring at their pricepoint. I bet that Vonage gained DOZENS of subscribers from my word-of-mouth excitement about the multi-ring (and who knows how many more subscribers from their word of mouth).

I SWITCHED TO OOMA BECAUSE OF MULTI-RING, and then I find out that it has the press 1 requirement. It's a safety hazzard for me, and if anyone gets into a crash because of it, lawers might have a field day.

Vonage's service rings to multiple numbers, and the first number that answers (even if it's the voice mail that answers) gets the call. Nothing to press to accept the call.

Ooma's Press 1 feature has some benefit for someone that wants to avoid their non-ooma voice mail (e.g., cell phone voice mail) taking the call, so it should be provided as an option so that people that want this capability can have it.

Whoever provides a Press 1 as an OPTION has the competition beat, in my opinion. Maybe If ooma turns the Press 1 into an option, Ooma will BEAT Vonage's offering. Maybe Vonage will introduce a Press 1 option. (They seem to be a leader in the "extra features" category.)
#41741 by Mido
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm
What a silly useless option!! Not only it is an inconvenience for those using a Bluetooth headset like above, but it is even worse for people like me who use a PDA phone that requires a stylus to dial anything. By the time I realize it is a Ooma forwarded call and try to 1) remove my stylus, 2) unlock my phone, 3) Press the 1 key on the screen, the call has gone to voicemail! And that's when I am not driving. If I am driving, it is impossible for me to use 2 hands to answer such call.

Not sure why Ooma, did this. I don't see any value from it. But if they think some people might think it's cool or an advantage over leading VoIP providers, then they should make it optional.
#41861 by doug
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 am
lipmanc wrote:Vonage's service rings to multiple numbers, and the first number that answers (even if it's the voice mail that answers) gets the call. Nothing to press to accept the call.

And therein lies the rub. If your phone has coverage, then if the cell VM ring count is equal or lower to ooma, it may pick up first. My carrier claims they cannot increase the number of rings when it answers, meaning would I need to make my ooma lower than I would prefer.

But that isn't the worst of it. If my cell phone is off or out of coverage area (and it is spotty in places), then it "answers" immediately. That means anytime my cell phone is not on and in a coverage area, I can't even answer a call on the hub or Telo itself because it will get immediately "answered" by my cell carrier.

That is not ooma's fault, but the "1" provides a work-around.

When they make 1 optional, I will try to cancel VM on my cell phone. But last time I asked they said they could not do that.