Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41510 by wolfmanjm
Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm
I just had to return my Telo because I discovered this "feature". What on earth were they thinking?

Having to hit 1 to answer the forwarded call makes the feature virtually useless. I had it multi call my cell phone, which is on a hands free in the car, (as required by CA law), so I cannot answer any incoming calls, because I cannot pickup the handset to hit 1.

This is a show stopper for me, other than that I really liked the service. Tech support told me they don't know when this will be made an option, and the engineers were still discussing whether to make it an option.

MAKE IT AN OPTION, it is useless as it is right now!
#42384 by 9204wilson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 am
I was at CES 2010 and spent some time in the Ooma booth. I specifically asked about the dialing 1. I was told that in the future, this feature will change so Ooma users can have the choice to dial 1 or not dial 1. Apparently, in order to work with Google Voice, they need to make this change.
#42401 by doug
Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 pm
wolfmanjm wrote:MAKE IT AN OPTION, it is useless as it is right now!

It isn't useless; there is actually a good reason for it. Consider this:

- A common reason to multi-ring is for your cell phone
- Most if not all cell phones have their own VM
- Most if not all cell phone VM will pick up immediately if the phone is off or out of coverage area
- If the cell phone or its VM "answers" the line, ooma will consider it answered if you don't need to press 1
- Therefore if your phone does not work or is out of range, you can't even answer at home !!!

I think the only way to reliably use it without '1' is to completely cancel the VM on your phone. My carrier said they can't do that. I find that hard to believe, and think I need to just keep calling until a rep knows how to do it.
#42406 by VicMatson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:59 pm
doug wrote:
wolfmanjm wrote:MAKE IT AN OPTION, it is useless as it is right now!

It isn't useless; there is actually a good reason for it. Consider this:

- A common reason to multi-ring is for your cell phone
- Most if not all cell phones have their own VM
- Most if not all cell phone VM will pick up immediately if the phone is off or out of coverage area
- If the cell phone or its VM "answers" the line, ooma will consider it answered if you don't need to press 1
- Therefore if your phone does not work or is out of range, you can't even answer at home !!!

I think the only way to reliably use it without '1' is to completely cancel the VM on your phone. My carrier said they can't do that. I find that hard to believe, and think I need to just keep calling until a rep knows how to do it.
Thats where Google Voice comes in. They now can substitute a carrier's VM with Google Voice the same as if you called a Google Voice phone number. And secondly Google Voice will send email, sms, and Android notifications.

GrandCentral(Google Voice) had the same issue and was worked out simply by allowing users to turn off presentation.

Believe no 1 on a smart phone is a no-brainer, it's difficult to get the phone out of your pocket, bring up a keyboard, and answer a call before you're in an accident or the caller hangs up! They say talking on a cell phone increases your chances of an accident 4x, texting 8x, so 1 has to be through the roof!
#42421 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm
That's correct - we needed to make the "Press 1" prompt configurable because we wanted to support forwarded calls from your Ooma Google Voice virtual number to your Google Voice number. We'll explain a bit more how this works in the near future. We're aiming to start private beta testing Google Voice extensions by early February.

9204wilson wrote:I was at CES 2010 and spent some time in the Ooma booth. I specifically asked about the dialing 1. I was told that in the future, this feature will change so Ooma users can have the choice to dial 1 or not dial 1. Apparently, in order to work with Google Voice, they need to make this change.
#42567 by MWH811
Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am
So, why not make the "Hit 1" optional and let the individual consumer decide whether they want the option or not based on what works best for them. Why does it have to be a "One size fits all"? Let your customers decide for themselves!
#42620 by southsound
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:21 pm
MWH811 wrote:So, why not make the "Hit 1" optional and let the individual consumer decide whether they want the option or not based on what works best for them. Why does it have to be a "One size fits all"? Let your customers decide for themselves!

Have you ever considered reading the previous posts before jumping in with an assumption that is totally wrong? Maybe you missed this one:
9204wilson wrote:I was at CES 2010 and spent some time in the Ooma booth. I specifically asked about the dialing 1. I was told that in the future, this feature will change so Ooma users can have the choice to dial 1 or not dial 1. Apparently, in order to work with Google Voice, they need to make this change.

ooma will indeed make it a choice. Sit tight for a while. Take a deep breath. Since I cannot think of a third option besides dial 1 or don't dial 1, then I think you will be happy. Unless you want to choose the number you dial if you get a call - then I'm sorry, you will be disappointed.