Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41486 by VicMatson
Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 pm
Yep, Engadget!

We stopped by Ooma's booth at CES for a quick hands-on with the new HD Telo and some time with the iPhone app. Voice quality on the service was pretty decent, although we did notice a pretty significant bit of lag -- we're assuming things would work better on a quality connection, as opposed to the slammed pipes here on the show floor. The new DECT handset was also quite nice, although it took a second to figure out how to initiate a call. We also played with the iPhone app for a second -- it worked as advertised, although once again we were limited by both the poor network connections on the show floor. It's certainly an interesting concept, though -- we'll have to wait to see how this all works in the home.

Ooma, Android application please?
#41490 by Bobby B
Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm
It wasn't mentioned in the article - but the reason quality of the audio in the iPod Touch client wasn't very consistent was because the connection was over Wi-Fi and there were a million Wi-Fi routers at the show. The audio quality of the connected Telos were excellent though.

As a backup to the iPod Touch client, we had a LinkSys SIP phone (connected via Ethernet). The audio quality on the LinkSys phone was very good. It will be be possible to run generic SIP clients off of Android or other smartphone vendors, though we haven't done much experimentation yet with other smartphones. When we launch the feature, we'll provide SIP credentials which can be used for any SIP client.
#42307 by kelkin
Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 pm
Bobby B wrote:It wasn't mentioned in the article - but the reason quality of the audio in the iPod Touch client wasn't very consistent was because the connection was over Wi-Fi and there were a million Wi-Fi routers at the show. The audio quality of the connected Telos were excellent though.

As a backup to the iPod Touch client, we had a LinkSys SIP phone (connected via Ethernet). The audio quality on the LinkSys phone was very good. It will be be possible to run generic SIP clients off of Android or other smartphone vendors, though we haven't done much experimentation yet with other smartphones. When we launch the feature, we'll provide SIP credentials which can be used for any SIP client.

Does this mean we'll be able to use generic SIP clients on the iPhone, as well as use softphones on our PCs with ooma?
-Keith
#42311 by amoney
Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 pm
kelkin wrote:
Bobby B wrote:It wasn't mentioned in the article - but the reason quality of the audio in the iPod Touch client wasn't very consistent was because the connection was over Wi-Fi and there were a million Wi-Fi routers at the show. The audio quality of the connected Telos were excellent though.

Does this mean we'll be able to use generic SIP clients on the iPhone, as well as use softphones on our PCs with ooma?
-Keith

Not fully up to speed in regards to SIP, but if that would be possible, does that mean people can bring their own VOIP box to connect with Ooma?

:o :cool:
#42440 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm
I haven't done much testing yet with other generic SIP clients, but I'm guessing most should work OK.

kelkin wrote:Does this mean we'll be able to use generic SIP clients on the iPhone, as well as use softphones on our PCs with ooma?
#42442 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 pm
The app has already been approved, but we haven't published it yet. We're aiming to get our server infrastructure to support the App by the end of February.

neel wrote:Where exactly do i download the iphone app for ooma? i can't find it in the app store in itunes
#42593 by Euclidw
Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 pm
Bobby,

Can you give us a sense of timing for the other announced enhancements? I understand the App should be out by end of Feb, early March. How about bluetooth, codec & other items that have been mentioned in the past (e.g. GV, unlimited int'l).

Thanks!
#42612 by Quicksprj
Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm
I'm really looking forward to the iPhone app. How cool is that going to be. Plus adds an extra 250 minutes to my cell phone calling plan. I hope oomaincorporates GV into their app or that it can be incorporated by each user. I'm really glad I stumbled upon Ooma and look forward to all the new innovations and improvements.