Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41443 by bohicaIL
Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 am
I'd love to see the ability to blacklist based on wildcard matches, such as 800* to blacklist all incoming 800 calls. I have a standalone call screening device that does just that, but I'd like to not have to use that device. (This device also can screen based on the "name" portion of a caller Id entry, and that's handy too but not as essential to me.)
#41451 by Mike-o-Matic
Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 am
Yes, this has come up before:

Searched "wildcard" and got...
viewtopic.php?t=3570
viewtopic.php?t=1492

BTW, that second one has some comments and possible solutions from Dennis P. in it, although I don't think true wildcards are supported yet. Sorry, haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps.
o-matic
#41523 by bohicaIL
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm
Thanks, Mike-o-Matic. I read both (had searched on "blacklist wildcard" and didn't find these before). Appears from the replies that this won't yet work (except for exact matches of numbers shorter than the usual 10), but has been suggested as a feature before. So my vote is in there too, specifically for:
1) number wildcarding (e.g., 800*), and if possible,
2) name matching/wildcarding (e.g., comcast*)
#41531 by Mike-o-Matic
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm
Those both sound good to me. A single-character wildcard might be useful too.
#41605 by Shutterstuff
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 am
I like this wildcard idea too. Lately we have seen a lot of calls as "800 Service" on CID.
#41636 by Lee
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 am
Sounds good to me, too. The phone "spam" folks are getting creative in their ways to avoid detection on CID before we answer the phone.
#41795 by PBS2112
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 pm
I think we really NEED to have some way of blocking by area code and/or area code plus first 3 digits as the telemarketers have banks upon banks of numbers to use and we (the users) can't enter all of them into our blacklists (especially with the 128 limit)...
the ability to blacklist telemarketers was one of the MAJOR reasons I switched from vonage to Ooma and now I find that the capability is somewhat limited... ;o(
I did enter just the area codes of some of the telemarketer calls I've been getting as suggested in the post by Dennis P. -- we'll see if that actually does anything...
also someone mentioned a stand alone unit that does block by area code? what is it and where can I get one?