Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41037 by Bill D
Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am
After the successful port of my two numbers from AT&T last week, I canceling my service and the AT&T rep offered me 18 Mbps/1.5 Mbps U-verse for $55/mo with no install fee, no contract and a free U-verse modem/router. This is only slightly more than I currently pay for my current 7 Mbps/0.7 Mbps Cable modem, so I signed up.

Previously when I requested U-verse pricing, At&T always told me that I had to bundle their TV service, landline service, cell service etc or pay a big $140 install fee.

I asked the rep why I couldn't get unbundled pricing quoted before and she said they are not permitted to offer it to current AT&T customers, but as soon as I canceled, she could offer it to me!

Of course this leaves me tempted to cancel every month just to see what the latest "new customer" deal is. If the deal hasn't improved, I can just say "never mind". I'm now also curious what my cable company will offer after I cancel.

It seems the obvious long-term cost-saving strategy going forward is to be ready to switch your "dumb pipe" Internet provider instantly, not utilizing any of the the provider's unique features or signing any contract. In the next few years it should get even better with WiMax providers challenging the current Internet providers and adding to the competition. Ooma fits perfectly into this cost-saving strategy.

Bill
#41044 by oomg
Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 am
I'm not sure ATnT offers the same deals in all markets. Where (approximately) are you located?
#41052 by Bill D
Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:06 am
oomg wrote:I'm not sure ATnT offers the same deals in all markets. Where (approximately) are you located?

I'm in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.

I also have an Ooma-equiped home in Newport Beach, California with AT&T DSL, but U-verse is not available in my neighborhood yet.

I see that you are in Southern California, so let me know what you hear from AT&T in CA so I can get ready to deal when U-verse arrives in my neighborhood.

Bill
#41312 by oomg
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:58 am
Bill D wrote:I'm in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.

I also have an Ooma-equiped home in Newport Beach, California with AT&T DSL, but U-verse is not available in my neighborhood yet.

I see that you are in Southern California, so let me know what you hear from AT&T in CA so I can get ready to deal when U-verse arrives in my neighborhood.

In your first post, you stated:
"After the successful port of my two numbers from AT&T last week, I [was] canceling my service and the AT&T rep offered me 18 Mbps/1.5 Mbps U-verse for $55/mo with no install fee, no contract and a free U-verse modem/router. This is only slightly more than I currently pay for my current 7 Mbps/0.7 Mbps Cable modem, so I signed up."

O.K., I think I see where I was confused. It appears that you got the 18 Mbps Uverse internet only. That would normally be $65 per month (based on my view of ATnt rates in SoCal which are currently offered online). It initially appeared to me that you were getting the internet AND the Uverse TV for $55 per month which would be an exceptionally good deal.
#41319 by Bill D
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am
oomg,

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The surprise to me was not only the lower $55/mo price but the fact that I was not required to purchase a bundle of AT&T services, which the AT&T sales people and the on-line ads required that I purchase before I canceled.

The AT&T installer just left and my new U-verse Internet-only is running well and testing at 16Mbps/1.5Mbps.

Are you saying that the 18Mbps U-verse Internet-only service is available in SoCal for $65/mo with no install fee and no bundling?

Bill