Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#40215 by rockettme
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 am
I would like to see them add the ability to add and store service addresses. Not that it's a big deal to change it the way it's currently configured, but it would make it easier.
#40216 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:42 am
rockettme wrote:I would like to see them add the ability to add and store service addresses. Not that it's a big deal to change it the way it's currently configured, but it would make it easier.

It would indeed make changing service addresses extremely easy, which is probably why you won't see this feature. Choosing from a list of service addresses is likely to result in a higher incidence of emergency crews showing up at the wrong house. Having to manually input the address is not convenient or mistake proof, but it does force folks to think about it & take responsibility for it. If someone makes a choice from a list and gets it wrong, Ooma gets blamed for it.
#40218 by rockettme
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am
I sort of understand what your saying, but if your premise is correct and lets say you have 2 homes your going between and bringing your device with you and you neglect to switch your ervice address either manually or from a drop down list, wouldn't the same hold true that Ooma would be blamed for going to the wrong residence?
My current VOIP provider holds me entirely responsible for that. If a call is made and you don't have a proper address entered, they charge you back $100.
I'm not sure what Ooma's policy is on that, maybe I should check.
All I'm saying is that there would be no errors in selecting from your drop down list of verified addresses.
I'ts still up to the subscriber to change addresses either way.
#40219 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 am
Saving a choice from a list of choices and having it not "stick" is a common issue for many websites, including Ooma's. Typing in an address and having it change "123 Sunrise Lane" to "321 Sunrise Lane" is very much less likely to happen, and would in almost all cases be the user's fault.
#40221 by The Talker
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 am
I called my 911 and said I was testing my E911 service. They asked for my address of the E911 and then my hard-line 911 address for verification. Everything checked out OK!
They reminded me that if I use the E911device anywhere else other then what was currently entered into my account that I would need to change it to the new location to keep things accurate and up to date. I already knew this but I do feel good knowing I have everything correct in the event I need to use E911.

It would be a nice addition in MyOoma to have the ability to store additional service addresses.
#40223 by murphy
Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 am
The Talker wrote:I called my 911 and said I was testing my E911 service. They asked for my address of the E911 and then my hard-line 911 address for verification. Everything checked out OK!
They reminded me that if I use the E911device anywhere else other then what was currently entered into my account that I would need to change it to the new location to keep things accurate and up to date. I already knew this but I do feel good knowing I have everything correct in the event I need to use E911.

It would be a nice addition in MyOoma to have the ability to store additional service addresses.

In many jurisdictions you would be fined for calling 911 in a non-emergency situation.
The proper procedure is to call the 911 center's non-emergency number and schedule a time to do the test when they feel they are unlikely to be busy.
#40228 by The Talker
Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 am
murphy wrote:In many jurisdictions you would be fined for calling 911 in a non-emergency situation.
The proper procedure is to call the 911 center's non-emergency number and schedule a time to do the test when they feel they are unlikely to be busy.

I'll keep that in mind when I go to test one of the handsets.