Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#39947 by watchdog
Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
If you have a Telo and you want to have a second line, and you don't want the Telo handset.
Could ooma enable the "Phone" jack that is on the back of the Telo to work on a 2 Line telephone, it could work so you could switch back and forth between line 1 and Line 2 from the 2 line phone instead of going to the Telo base and touching line 1 or line 2.

I know you can do this already by pressing the flashhook on a regular phone and to answer a call waiting call.
But the advantage would be if you wanted to wire your whole house telephone wiring for 2 lines and use 2 line phones so someone else in your house can make a call from line 2 if someone is talking on line 1. That again would be great if you did not prefer the Telo handset.

The "Phone" jack on the back of the Telo already has 4 conductors to handle 2 different wired lines, right now the Telo is only using 2 of them, I checked mine and the other pair are dead.

Also if a person knew how to wire it, they could wire up a phone jack in another part of the house to use line 2 by default, that would be a solution for a kid's line.

Of course they can keep it the way it is now for call waiting, if someone calls while you are talking and the other phone in the house rings, you can still answer it from the phone you are talking on by pressing the flash hook.

I think that ooma could easily do this and would be a very attractive feature, or at least make it an option especially if you are not into the bells and whistles of the Telo handset.
#39963 by southsound
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:50 pm
This has been a very common request even in the beta community. I don't think that it is just that simple. ooma has used a 4 conductor jack - but I don't think the electronics to make the second pair exists inside the Telo as it has been shipping. There are a lot of reasons for wanting wired access to that second line - like of you are trying to use the second like at a longer distance than the handset is capable of reaching. But to the best of our knowledge, it just isn't going to happen with this hardware rev.
#39974 by watchdog
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:07 pm
southsound wrote:ooma has used a 4 conductor jack - but I don't think the electronics to make the second pair exists inside the Telo as it has been shipping.

I see, so the extra pair of conductors on the "Phone" jack are not connected to anything inside the Telo.

I wonder if a firmware upgrade could be done to use the "Wall" jack then for a second line if one was not using it for the "Use with existing landline" option?

I understand the polarity on the "Wall" jack is for incoming from an existing landline, but would an optional update be possible to make it a line 2, just like the "Phone" jack is the default line 1?

If none of these options are possible, ooma may consider designing the Generation 3 oomas to handle 2 line phones, since their technology already supports 2 line capability if you use a Telo handset.

It would just make things alot more simple for everyone, the consumer and ooma themselves.
I have read alot of bad feedback about the Telo handsets, it seems that this would be an incentive for ooma to do in the future with 2 wired lines. People could use 2 line wired phones or their own 2 line DECT cordless phones and ooma could get rid of their Telo handset headaches.

Of course I know it is easy to suggest ideas, but not always easy to make them a reality.
#39978 by amoney
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:40 pm
I think Ooma did this on purpose to sell the Telo handset.

Not really any big work around but one can flash over to the 2nd line without having to touch the Telo, again not gaining much but for what its worth.
#40005 by southsound
Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am
watchdog wrote: If none of these options are possible, ooma may consider designing the Generation 3 oomas to handle 2 line phones, since their technology already supports 2 line capability if you use a Telo handset.

It would just make things alot more simple for everyone, the consumer and ooma themselves.
I have read alot of bad feedback about the Telo handsets, it seems that this would be an incentive for ooma to do in the future with 2 wired lines. People could use 2 line wired phones or their own 2 line DECT cordless phones and ooma could get rid of their Telo handset headaches.

Of course I know it is easy to suggest ideas, but not always easy to make them a reality.

ooma's earlier product, the "core" system consiting of a hub and scout, is ideal for two wired lines. Many folks have had excellent results using the scout with a short cable to the hub and driving either two-line wired or cordless phones from this configuration. However many have had problems with reduced sound quality on the scout. This and high manufacturing costs for the core system are some of the reasons the Telo was designed.

I was amazed when ooma left this two-line wired capability out of the Telo but they may have done this to drive handset sales where I am sure margins are much greater than for the Telo itself. Like you, I look forward to a future system with two wired lines - but I fear it may be available in the small business offering only. Time will tell.
#45808 by jerrygno
Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 pm
I would also like to see the telo do 2 wired phone lines. I work at home and already have a decent wired phone that is programmable for many of my conference calls (with delays for pin numbers,...) and a wired plantronic headset. The Telo handset does not have a line plug for a headset/mic which is essential for me working at home.
#45818 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:06 pm
I considered the Telo handset at first, but since all the issue, I dont think I will reconsider, even when the issues are resolved.

As for wanting to use a second line, one would have to go all out and just get a second Telo as a seperate line, then hook both Telo systems to the 2 line base system. Quite an expensive work around, but it would allow a user to use a better handset system.