Vonage pleads for me to stay

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
pbernard

Vonage pleads for me to stay

Post by pbernard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Got my number ported today, so I called Vonage to cancel my service. The rep offered to cut my rate in HALF. I paid in advance, about $300 after taxes and assorted fees. I spent a good amount of time with the rep as she, in her indian accent, tried to keep me as a Vonage customer. Nope...I had already pulled the trigger at ooma, so it was a done deal. I sorta felt bad talking with the Vonage rep. Their service was good, call quality was high. I just like 'free' over $300 so much more.
Peter Bernard
Ooma fan

WayneDsr

Re: Vonage pleads for me to stay

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Ever notice they offer you the deal AFTER you cancel? Same goes for Direct TV and Cable, they don't pay attention to the customer when they ARE a customer!

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:56 pm

Agreed, Wayne !!

You are correct, you are just a bill payer until you drop a service. Then it is a mountain of emails and snail mail as to how important you are. (errr, that is how important your checkbook is)

byersthja

Post by byersthja » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:14 am

Whenever I cancel a service or a credit card, and get the hard sell to stay, I just say "my wife told me to cancel", and I don't have to endure the offers.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:24 am

byersthja wrote:Whenever I cancel a service or a credit card, and get the hard sell to stay, I just say "my wife told me to cancel", and I don't have to endure the offers.
That works especially well if the person putting the hard sell on you is a woman.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

larry j

Post by larry j » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:10 am

Before I bought the Telo, I called Windstream to see if they had any landline options cheaper than the $33 a month I was paying. All I used the line for was my alarm system. I was hoping for some kind of metered line for $15-$20 a month.

No luck, they told me I had the cheapest option available.

But that changed the day I called to drop the land line. Suddenly they were willing to cut my bill in half. I told them no thanks, but if they had made that offer a couple of weeks prior when I originally called, I would still be a customer.

I guess they have to try.

DawnW

Post by DawnW » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:09 am

I am going to have to drop Vonage too.

So after the number is ported you have to call to drop them? I thought the number porting actually took care of this for you.

Yeah, I like free better than $396/year too. I pay $33/month after taxes are added and times that by 12 is $396. Yikes!

Now, any of you have a good idea as to how to lower my Directv bill? Our promotion ends in January. I do plan to call them and see but my guess is that they will offer something really small, like $5/mo off as that is what they did before. I have threatened to leave before too. The only reason we have this current promotion is because I cancelled service and DH put the name in his account. We have run out of people now! :D

Dawn

pbernard

Post by pbernard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes. You should call your old carrier to make sure they don't re-up you for another year. ooma is working fine for our family, with no major glitches.
Peter Bernard
Ooma fan

scoutconnor

Post by scoutconnor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I actually just switched from Cable HSI to DSL HSI and Time Warner Cable *couldn't* give me a better rate than $33 a month, even though last year I paid $30 for the same EXACT service. I bid them adeu.

On another note, I canceled Vonage 14 months ago and I still get biweekly letters as well as the occasional phone call.