Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#38251 by pbernard
Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 pm
Got my number ported today, so I called Vonage to cancel my service. The rep offered to cut my rate in HALF. I paid in advance, about $300 after taxes and assorted fees. I spent a good amount of time with the rep as she, in her indian accent, tried to keep me as a Vonage customer. Nope...I had already pulled the trigger at ooma, so it was a done deal. I sorta felt bad talking with the Vonage rep. Their service was good, call quality was high. I just like 'free' over $300 so much more.
#38253 by WayneDsr
Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm
Ever notice they offer you the deal AFTER you cancel? Same goes for Direct TV and Cable, they don't pay attention to the customer when they ARE a customer!

Wayne
#38258 by Leeway
Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:56 pm
Agreed, Wayne !!

You are correct, you are just a bill payer until you drop a service. Then it is a mountain of emails and snail mail as to how important you are. (errr, that is how important your checkbook is)
#38275 by byersthja
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:14 am
Whenever I cancel a service or a credit card, and get the hard sell to stay, I just say "my wife told me to cancel", and I don't have to endure the offers.
#38278 by murphy
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:24 am
byersthja wrote:Whenever I cancel a service or a credit card, and get the hard sell to stay, I just say "my wife told me to cancel", and I don't have to endure the offers.

That works especially well if the person putting the hard sell on you is a woman.
#38292 by larry j
Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:10 am
Before I bought the Telo, I called Windstream to see if they had any landline options cheaper than the $33 a month I was paying. All I used the line for was my alarm system. I was hoping for some kind of metered line for $15-$20 a month.

No luck, they told me I had the cheapest option available.

But that changed the day I called to drop the land line. Suddenly they were willing to cut my bill in half. I told them no thanks, but if they had made that offer a couple of weeks prior when I originally called, I would still be a customer.

I guess they have to try.
#38722 by DawnW
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:09 am
I am going to have to drop Vonage too.

So after the number is ported you have to call to drop them? I thought the number porting actually took care of this for you.

Yeah, I like free better than $396/year too. I pay $33/month after taxes are added and times that by 12 is $396. Yikes!

Now, any of you have a good idea as to how to lower my Directv bill? Our promotion ends in January. I do plan to call them and see but my guess is that they will offer something really small, like $5/mo off as that is what they did before. I have threatened to leave before too. The only reason we have this current promotion is because I cancelled service and DH put the name in his account. We have run out of people now! :D

Dawn
#38879 by pbernard
Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 pm
Yes. You should call your old carrier to make sure they don't re-up you for another year. ooma is working fine for our family, with no major glitches.
#38883 by scoutconnor
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:32 pm
I actually just switched from Cable HSI to DSL HSI and Time Warner Cable *couldn't* give me a better rate than $33 a month, even though last year I paid $30 for the same EXACT service. I bid them adeu.

On another note, I canceled Vonage 14 months ago and I still get biweekly letters as well as the occasional phone call.