Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#38293 by bw1
Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:17 am
packetfire wrote:"Prior to purchasing any product, do your homework..."

No, that's the whole point - I DID do my homework, but none of the specific assurances made both in writing and by Ooma sales reps were kept! Worse yet, I had to jump through hoops just to avoid a "gotcha" that would have cost me money.
I doubt I will ever see any action from Ooma on this.

I would chalk this up as a "lesson learned".

I would chalk this up as "you need to re-read a discussion thread before commenting"! :)

Cheers!

But since you bought it in the Costco store, you had the advantage of being able to read the fine print on the box that says about the $11.75 recovery fee.

Unfortunately, the sales reps don't always know as much as they should and should have told you that there was a difference if you bought the hub only product from a Costco B&M store. But what they told you was basically correct except for that detail, that they may not have known or didn't think to mention.

I don't know why they decided to include the fee in the hub only product, perhaps that was the first chance to add it when they were printing new boxes and shipping new product.

You are crapping on Ooma, when you should be glad that they didn't include the fees on everyone and grandfathered existing hub users and those like yourself who were fortunate enough to get the Ooma core package (hub and scout) while they're still available.

You say you did your homework, but did you read the terms and conditions, such as:

(d) Notice and Changes: Our Services are subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which can change at any time without notice. Unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, we can change the Terms and Conditions of your Services at any time, with or without notice. Changes may include features and prices. If we do give you notice, it may be provided on your account web page, in a newsletter, by email, by telephone or other communication permitted under applicable law.
#38377 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 pm
Just to stir the pot (not that it needs it), I forgot to leave out that part of the taxes are to support the Spanish-American war.

More government, yeah, that's what we need. Don't forget that once a tax is encacted it never goes away. See above. Check our nations history.

Okay, I apologize, I should let it die on the vine.

There is one thing, maybe it's an aside. How many people with normal vision do you think can actually see the fine print well enough to read it? Recent studies have shown that the number is pretty close to zero. Even with a magnifying glass. Pretty sad. But I'm sure it meets the letter of the law. And so it goes, one big bureaucratic circle j**k.

Cheers
#38389 by amoney
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 pm
Argh, my post got lost. And it was long. Alright I will try to recollect my thoughts.

I totally agree with the OP. I have the same comments regarding the inefficiency and waste.

1. Packaging

I wish Ooma put as much effort into their product as they do in their packaging. Am I safe to assume Ooma is trying to woo consumers to over look the cheaply made hardware. I understand trying to ride the coat tails of Apple but the Telo hardware is far from the quality product that Apple puts out.

The cheap plastic Telo shell makes a linksys wireless router look like something Apple would make. The Telo that I recieved has a inadequate power adapter that easily falls out (note Ooma has taken note of this and there is a sticky on the forum for replacement which I happily stumbled upon), but far worst the internal speaker in my Telo is flopping around inside. And the sound quality is abysmal. Its as if it was a joke. Is this what Ooma seriously thought was acceptable. People that actually need this functionality will look at it and return it, even worst the neg word of mouth is highly damadging particularly for a new company, the internet and GOOGLE will make these faults glaring.

I was planning for a whole year to get the Telo with 4 handsets, and after the fact I decided to cancel my Today Show special. Luckily for me Ooma was able to due to shortage of handesets. The reason why I decided to cancel the bundel special was (among other Telo handset fiasco/issues) that I wanted to get additional handsets, but I find out that as of 11/09 the Telo only supports one handset. I about fell out of my seat. Obviously its not difficult believeing all the other issues with the handsets. I just can not tolerate handset issues so I decided to just order the Ooma Telo and use it purely for VOIP connectivity. I have a Panasonic that does everything even retrieve my messages from the handsets, I highly recommend the Panasonic wireless as a solution.

But back to the packaging, even if it is cheap, Ooma can still save precious money just going the carbboard route. We the consumer are not going to care about the packaging. We just want cheap phone service and a company that does not go under.

Packaging is not what makes a company succeed. Quality of product and service is what rallies a company!!!!

I truly wish Ooma to succeed.
#38405 by packetfire
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:00 am
"I forgot to leave out that part of the taxes are to support the Spanish-American war."

Here's a tiny bit of good news, they ended that tax back in 2006, and even refunded some part of the taxes paid to everyone who had a taxed telco account:
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1037_3-6101004.html

"But since you bought it in the Costco store, you had the advantage of being able to read the fine print..."

Uh, no, I did not. No one reads all the tiny print on everything they buy looking for some sort of contractual LANDMINE, they tend to get their pre-sales information from company websites and pre-sales support staff that work for the company.

You say you did your homework, but did you read the terms and conditions...

Yes, I did, and what you cited says that they want to claim that they can unilaterally change their terms in the future. What I was addressing was the confusion over fees under the CURRENT terms, and how they seemed to have multiple sets of "gotchas" in play at the same time. As an aside, they might think that they can change their terms unilaterally, but if they make significant changes, they will face a few hundred thousand small claims actions for the full price of the hardware purchased under specific "lifetime" terms, and the bad press will sink them like a Zodiac full of porcupines.

But I do appreciate all the nit-picking and criticism here, as the basic service has to be pretty decent to have created a gang of fanboys with reflexively hostile reactions to even well-reasoned and insightful critique such as mine.
#38413 by bw1
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am
packetfire wrote:But I do appreciate all the nit-picking and criticism here, as the basic service has to be pretty decent to have created a gang of fanboys with reflexively hostile reactions to even well-reasoned and insightful critique such as mine.

Perhaps it's only well-reasoned and insightful in your mind.
#38537 by oldanbo
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:10 pm
bw1 wrote:
packetfire wrote:But I do appreciate all the nit-picking and criticism here, as the basic service has to be pretty decent to have created a gang of fanboys with reflexively hostile reactions to even well-reasoned and insightful critique such as mine.

Perhaps it's only well-reasoned and insightful in your mind.

Well.....I do see some insightful thoughts in packetfire's posts. I was one of those who critiqued those posts. I do wish that in his most recent post he had re-phrased the term "gang of fanboys", as I for one and I know others on here are do not meet the basis of the term.

Bottom line in my book, ooma is a great value, marketing needs vast improvement/constraint. And anyone that has worked in software/hardware development has always fought that battle.

It's that time of year, I wish everyone a merry christmas.

Regards,
Dan
#38551 by southsound
Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:45 pm
oldanbo wrote: It's that time of year, I wish everyone a merry christmas.

Regards,
Dan

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours. I'm still waiting on that call so my bride can whip up a fresh sweet potato pie with vanilla bean ice cream. Harstine Island isn't THAT far away! :P

Edit: If you can pick up packetfire on the way we can show him/her that us fanboys know how to really enjoy the Christmas season. Bring on the edible goodies!!
#38556 by DawnW
Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:11 am
I have actually found info for Ooma to be quite confusing.

I just received my Telo last night from the Costco.com website.

I have a LOT of questions still! I don't know how to redeem my 100 min. credit for overseas calls yet, I assume I just use them and they will not be billed????? But there is nothing in the box I received that talks about this. I don't understand how to use a 2nd line.....I am assuming with the Telo I need THEIR device/headset? I won't be keeping the premium service after the 6 month trial, so I am not planning to buy one. Also, is there a $12 fee per year now? How will I be billed?

I finally figured out some things but it was like having to dig through mounds of materials to find it. I haven't found it an easy process. And I couldn't get on the forums to ask prior to buying the device.

I just hope they stay in business long enough to make it worth my while. :-)

Dawn
#38585 by bw1
Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Hi Dawn W, welcome to Ooma forums!

Yes, you need the Telo handset to access the instant second line feature on the Ooma Telo.

Yes, there is a $11.75 per year regulatory recovery fee that applies to the Telo (and Hub only sold at Costco B&M) accounts after the first year. In order to activate your account, you had to enter your credit card info. So, I would guess that they will bill your credit card on file for the $11.75 fee after your Telo has been activated 1 year.