Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#37215 by Timothy
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm
I remember not long ago there was an option to permantely change the codec (for faxing) but now seems to be missing as an option now. I prefer the sound quality of the G711 codec for receiving and placing calls. Has something changed recently?
#37217 by murphy
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:06 pm
Timothy wrote:I remember not long ago there was an option to permantely change the codec (for faxing) but now seems to be missing as an option now. I prefer the sound quality of the G711 codec for receiving and placing calls. Has something changed recently?

Yes, the FAX selection is now under the phone number instead of being global.
#37222 by feartheturtle
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:26 pm
We have the Core system (Hub & Scout) - and since the recent My.Ooma website change we have lost the ability to monitor/change the codec setting. I believe that it might be that way for all of the Hub accounts? That is a little disappointing! We preferred the call quality from the higher bandwidth setting as well.

For the Telo accounts I believe they have left a fax feature that can be enabled/disabled.
#37224 by murphy
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm
It is believed that too many people selected the high bandwidth setting and they feared their server capacity would be exhausted so the option was removed while they study the problem.
#37228 by Timothy
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:52 pm
Well that does sound like the honest reason but in the mean time the sound quality is not a good in my opinion. When my wife calls me from home on the Oooma to my work land line it's very obvious between the G711 Codec and the one in use now. On cell phone or being at home on the reciever end I can't tell the difference. Anyways, thats sad news and hope this changes for the people who really want the G711 codec.
#37390 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:59 pm
g.711 is still a compressed lossy codec but one of the few that will actually allow you a shot at a successful fax. I have seen it referred to as uncompressed, nothing could be further from the truth, not only is it a compression scheme, it is a lossy one at that.

All lossy codecs sound different from one another due to the differences in what information is stripped away based on the psychoacoustic model employed by the engineering team for that particular codec. In the end, information is stripped away to reduce the size in either case and each team had a different interpretation on what they think you won't miss.

If you have less than a carrier grade internet connection (If you don't know what this is and are paying under 200 a month, you don't have a carrier grade connection), there is the possibility that the g.711 codec will sound worse than iLBC or g.729 but this will vary and you may have a good quality connection that rivals carrier grade. Still, it'll never sound like anything other than a phone call with either codec since we are limited by the telephone standard itself for compatibility with land line phones that plug in via RJ11 jacks. You're not going to get FM quality much less CD quality using anything that a phone plugs into and if you did, the person on the other end would need it as well.

Just trying to put this in perspective based on highly exaggerated claims of sonic nirvana while using the g.711 codec for voice calls. It's like splitting hairs over which sow's ear, left or right would make a better silk purse even though you'll never get a silk purse from any sow's ear.
#37394 by amarryat
Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:40 pm
murphy wrote:
Timothy wrote:I remember not long ago there was an option to permantely change the codec (for faxing) but now seems to be missing as an option now. I prefer the sound quality of the G711 codec for receiving and placing calls. Has something changed recently?

Yes, the FAX selection is now under the phone number instead of being global.

Maybe I am blind, but I haven't found it yet. Are saying that you go to Preferences/Phone numbers, and then click on the phone number hyperlink that brings up a box that says "manager phone numbers"? It's not there for me.
#37396 by murphy
Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm
It's only there for a Telo account.
Hub's handle incoming fax detection automatically.
#41262 by KenAF
Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 pm
I have Verizon FiOS service and notice an improvement with G.711.

I hope Ooma restores this option for Ooma Hub/Scout users, or at the very least for users with Premiere service.
#41286 by amarryat
Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 am
KenAF wrote:I have Verizon FiOS service and notice an improvement with G.711.

I hope Ooma restores this option for Ooma Hub/Scout users, or at the very least for users with Premiere service.

I would like this option back as well, and initially thought the option for Premiere users may be what causes me to renew next year. However they need to be careful that the result isn't a diminished perception of Ooma quality, eg MagicJack-like unless you subscribe to Premiere.