Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#37183 by googlevoice
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:05 am
I think Ooma should give unlimited service to Pakistan. Currently I am using Rebtel.com and talk for hours to my parents and siblings in Pakistan and love the service. And Rebtel is free for Pakistan as Pakistan is one of the 52 Rebtel countries where you can make smart calls for free, no limits, yes unlimited calls without counting your minutes. It is time for Ooma to be competitive for international calls as they did their fantastic job for domestic calls.
#37205 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm
googlevoice wrote:I think Ooma should give unlimited service to Pakistan. Currently I am using Rebtel.com and talk for hours to my parents and siblings in Pakistan and love the service. And Rebtel is free for Pakistan as Pakistan is one of the 52 Rebtel countries where you can make smart calls for free, no limits, yes unlimited calls without counting your minutes. It is time for Ooma to be competitive for international calls as they did their fantastic job for domestic calls.

Buy your parents an Ooma and you and they can talk for free, plus they will have a US phone number and can talk to anyone else in the US for free as well.
#37211 by tommies
Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Groundhound wrote:
googlevoice wrote:I think Ooma should give unlimited service to Pakistan. Currently I am using Rebtel.com and talk for hours to my parents and siblings in Pakistan and love the service. And Rebtel is free for Pakistan as Pakistan is one of the 52 Rebtel countries where you can make smart calls for free, no limits, yes unlimited calls without counting your minutes. It is time for Ooma to be competitive for international calls as they did their fantastic job for domestic calls.

Buy your parents an Ooma and you and they can talk for free, plus they will have a US phone number and can talk to anyone else in the US for free as well.

Maybe not, the cost for boardband internet in many Asian countries(not just Pakistan) is out of reach for the majority of the population.
#37212 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:45 pm
Depends on how much call volume we're talking about, of course... but that's a great suggestion!!
#37213 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm
tommies wrote:
Groundhound wrote:

Maybe not, the cost for boardband internet in many Asian countries(not just Pakistan) is out of reach for the majority of the population.

Good point. The problem is the OP wants Ooma to give (not sell) unlimited service to Pakistan. Different companies can choose to provide different services as loss-leaders for what they are really in business for - and apparently Rebtel's loss-leader service meets the OP's need quite well. Does that mean that Ooma should match every other company's loss-lead service? Sounds like a plan for bankruptcy, of the very quick kind.
#37220 by googlevoice
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 pm
Mike-o-Matic wrote:$0.24/min sounds pretty cheap to me. Beats the heck out of the cost of a plane ticket... :?

@Mike-o-Matic.

I love the reply, LOL. Anyways, I just wanted to make a point here that Ooma's per minute charge for Pakistan is outrageous compared to other VOIP providers. Even Google Voice and Vonage is merely charging $0.09 per minute. But there are other Betamax website which are charging less than $0.05 per minute. Though calling from Pakistan to USA is less than $0.01 per minute (As rates for USA, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, China etc went down from $0.02 to $0.01 per minute a month ago). But I am using Rebtel Services (www.rebtel.com) and I pay nothing to call them and my parents/siblings can also call me for free. Through Rebtel, there is no counting of minutes and it is unlimited. Following is the link of Rebtel countries where you can make free calls. There is no prerequisite of buying credits to use the service. Rebtel uses a very smart technology and calls are being connected through internet (so there is no termination cost) even both calling parties use their landline/mobile phones (no computer needed). Calls are very crystal clear and my calls never dropped. Following is the link of Rebtel countries where you can make free calls

http://www.rebtel.com/en/Rates/Rebtel-countries/

In reply to Tommies comment, my parents and siblings have high speed internet connection in Karachi, Pakistan (average connection speed is 3 Mbps download speed). So I think 3 Mbps download speed is great for South Asian country and they pay merely $6.00 per month which is very cheap to get that great speed. I was stunned to see the results of their internet download speed when they installed it last year and we had a video conversation on Skype and Google Talk and the sound and video quality was phenomenal. We still use video calls using Skype and Google Talk every now and then.
#37250 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm
Well, perhaps they'll negotiate lower rates with their partners sometime soon. One can always hope. That, or by further partnering with Google Voice, maybe those rates will come along for the ride.