Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#36323 by jeffdcrockett
Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:58 am
I have been using OpenDNS for web filtering on a home network with the OpenDNS set up at the wireless router. Apparently this created problems when the Ooma hub was located between the modem (in this case ATT Uverse gateway) and my wireliess router (Netgear WNR200-N). With the Ooma hub between I could not get web access on my desktop.

To solve this I deactivated the OpenDNS by deselecting the OpenDNS servers at the router. Once I did that the gateway recognized that there was a "router behind router" configuration and was able to accommodate the Ooma hub. At this point, I had access to the web on my desktop and when reconfiguring the router with OpenDNS servers I regained the ability to use OpenDNS web filtering.

Took me a long time to figure this out as I really wanted to continue using OpenDNS filtering. Hope this helps someone else. Ooma is a good product but you really need to have it hooked up between your router and modem to prioritize network traffic. If not, your call quality will suffer. For a time, I had it hooked up behind the wireless router and call quality suffered with heavy network traffic.
#36601 by RealDave
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 am
jeffdcrockett wrote: Ooma is a good product but you really need to have it hooked up between your router and modem to prioritize network traffic. If not, your call quality will suffer.

Or someone could use a router with QoS and prioritize VOIP that way. I use tomato http://www.polarcloud.com and OpenDNS.
#36605 by WayneDsr
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 am
RealDave wrote:
jeffdcrockett wrote: Ooma is a good product but you really need to have it hooked up between your router and modem to prioritize network traffic. If not, your call quality will suffer.

Or someone could use a router with QoS and prioritize VOIP that way. I use tomato http://www.polarcloud.com and OpenDNS.

I second that. Linksys and Tomato.

Wayne
#36606 by Aveamantium
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 am
I gave in... Put the Telo and Hub back behind my trusty old WRT54GL running tomato. Now if only I could figure out how to make Qos conditional in Tomato... :?